Sign in to follow this  
XOG-ogaal

Will geedi be gone for good this time ?

Now that the president said dowlad sal balaaran ayaa ladisay ? Will geedi and Caydiid jr be gone for good this time ?

Somali President Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed has announced plans for a broad-based reconciliation conference to heal the Horn of African nation ripped apart by 16 years of anarchic bloodletting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Yusuf told an African Union summit that the conference, whose date is yet to be announced, would give all Somalis a "fair chance" to participate in efforts to return lasting stability to the country.

He said the government "will soon call for a national reconciliation congress in Somalia that would bring together all Somali clan elders, notables, respected personalities, religious learders, previous political leaders as well as intellectuals as well as Somalis in the diaspora."

"This particular event will be the most inclusive public consultation gathering that ever took place in Somalia and Somalis will have a fair chance to inform and take part in the remaking of their own nation."

Yusuf confirmed an earlier announcement by European Union Development Commissioner Louis Michel who said that Brussels was now ready to release funds for a planned African peacekeeping mission.

"I am impressed by his decision to call a conference of reconciliation," Michel told reporters after meeting Yusuf on the sidelines of the AU summit that wrapped up on Tuesday.

He said the conference "could happen in two or three weeks."

Yusuf's administration, formed in 2004, had been confined to a provincial backwater until late last month when Ethiopia intervened militarily on its behalf and helped oust an Islamist movement from the capital Mogadishu and other towns under its sway.

The European Union had made clear earlier this month that it was only prepared to contribute cash to the AU peacekeeping force as long as Yusuf took concrete steps towards reconciliation.

"In my opinion, all the conditions are fulfilled," Michel said once Yusuf agreed.

The new United Nations chief Ban Ki-Moon also urged Yusuf to reconcile the country's fractious rival factions to turn the page on nearly two decades of bloodshed.

"I urged the Somali leaders to engage in an inclusive political process" including dialogue with moderate Islamists and clan elders, the UN secretary general told reporters.

"I hope they will continue a dialogue of national reconciliation and Ethiopia should also help," Ban added.

In a speech Monday to mark the opening of the two-day summit, AU commission chief Alpha Oumar Konare said the interim government should reach out to the Islamists "except those who are fighting and killing for holy war".

Yusuf's feeble government is trying to firm up its control in the capital Mogadishu where it toppled the Islamist movement with the backing of Ethiopian forces last month, but now faces opposition from armed clan militia.

He however insisted that his government had suppressed warlords who had lawlessly ruled the capital before their ouster last June by the Islamists. He also said that the Islamist movement was no more.

"I can confidently report to you today that warlordism is no more in Somalia (and) so is is the Islamic jihadist organisation that used to call themselves the Islamic Courts Union."

Xox....Yeey isn't being sincere here. He had to accept the conditions set by EU in order to get the funding for AU mission. This is hardly be called TFG initiative. Here again, you have foriegners deciding our faith. What we need is sincere Somali initiative that will get everybody on board.

web page

che- i believe these countries have interest in somalia peace and i also believe that they want to deal with one leader....its better for us to have many different leader who can demand anything they want from the tfg not a puppet

believe these countries have interest in somalia peace

So do the majority of the poor Somalis out there. For this goverment to have any chance to previal, they need to engage the Somalis themselves rather making empty gestures to foriegn dignatories.

Geedi and Aydeeds position has nothing to do with reconciliation of clans. The TFG will not change but the clans will be brought together inside Somalia to work things out, kiss and make up.

duke what does it mean dowlad sal balaaran ?it means people who are not performing their jobs have to go in order all somalis to be happy with their government

NASSIR   

Duke, I think reshuffling of cabinet will be made or a Council of Religous affairs will be set up which accomadates scholars of the ICU.

Kashafa   

lol@Council of Religous affairs. Which will do exactly what ? Make up fatwas to justify any governmental decree that contradicts Islam ? Say like sanctioning the invasion, occupation, and eventual annexation of Somalia ? "Ze Muslims of Somalia and Ethiopia must join togezer because zey are one Ummah!" Quote Hadeeth, Quote Ayah. Fatwa done. lol. Scholars-for-dollars are quite fashionable these days, although I must say you'll have a tough time finding authentic Somali Ulumaa. They're all on our side. Sorry.

Try to understand. What we are fighting for is an wholly Islamic government(the whole pie) and not to be relegated to determining the best way to make wuduu(small piece of the pie) as is the case in secular goverments. As far as we're concerned, all aspects of government are religous affairs in nature. What determines our foriegn policy ? Islam. Domestic issues ? Islam. Military operations ? Islam. Hope you get the picture. Any Council for Islamic Affairs will be a Maskhara in a government who's very base is anti-Islamism. Do Warlords(ok, ex-warlords) want Islam ? Maya Xashaa. Dhaca iyo Dhilka wax ii diidaayo maba rabi. What about enlightened seculars ? Heeeeeeeeeeeeeell No. My lifestyle is that of a cultured secular. Don't put any restrictions on me based on archaic laws.

Originally posted by General Duke:

Geedi and Aydeeds position has nothing to do with reconciliation of clans. The TFG will not change but the clans will be brought together inside Somalia to work things out, kiss and make up.

"I would not be surprised if the TFG opted for the only type of dialogue that has succeeded so far, which is an internal dialogue amongst Somalis." Zenawi web page

^^^Indeed internal dialogue, it seems Zanawi knows Somalia more than you mate.. Camir had a good point, but I have this feeling that the reconciliation will be within communities to address internal conflicts and work out ways to set up admins for the areas that have none. Somalia has a government it has to reach out to the people, there are no more clan courts.

Indeed internal dialogue, it seems Zanawi knows Somalia more than you mate..

N he seems to know more about it than Yeey does. Perhaps we should credit Zenawi for coming up with the idea of reconciling Somalis in Somalia.

^ Why don't we give Zenawi the credit for the 10% GDP climb of China eh? Zenawi is one man. You guys give him so much credit that I think he's swimming in his own ego.