Sign in to follow this  
NASSIR

'Puntland and Somalia'--a new phrase employed by oil Co.s

NASSIR   

I used to hear from the secessionists often times, "Somaliland and Somalia" as though they were mutually exclusive states. You have Rick Schmitt, President of Africa Oil mimicking the secessionists in this Press release. :D

In a related matter, Africa Oil is pleased to announce that the President of the Transitional Federal Government, H.E. Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed, has been fully briefed on the company's activities. His Excellency has subsequently issued a broad endorsement of those activities and acknowledged the legitimacy of its concession agreements, promising full support for our work program.

Having met all other obligations, the Company had initiated an accelerated drilling schedule at the Nogal Valley block well in advance of the January, 2010 expiry of the first exploration period. The aggressive timing of the program was to the benefit of the local communities in Puntland and Somalia. However, under current conditions, it is prudent to relax this operational schedule. The Company has a strong relationship with the Puntland government and will cooperate fully with them as they work to resolve the situation. The company will continue to monitor events and reinstate the drilling program as soon as practicable.

Source, April 28, 2008

Baashi   

Rick Schmitt's words matter not. Another fegamite-eating Aussie biz man, I assume, hoping to strike a fortune in a devastated conflict zone ill-equipped and unprepared to negotiate a fair deal for their assets.

What matters is how Puntland admin and Somalis in that corner see themselves in relation to Somalia. Both see themselves as part and parcel of Somalia republic. They see themselves are recovering zone that will serve as one of the building blocks of future Somali state.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

Emperor   

^I agree, Puntland will always be part and parcel of Somalia... But yes there is a difference between Puntland and Somalia... Somalia is the whole country including SL and Pland... While Puntland is one part of the Somali republic...

me   

Puntland is a recovery zone just as Baashi stated. Once we get our state back Puntland will have to dissapear. Corrupt mini states have no place in Somalia's future.