Sign in to follow this  
Fabregas

Somaliland’s 26th June 1960, 86 years of protectorate comes to end

LANDER   

An important time line, I think some of the opinion is a lil over-zealous. Egal (Ilaheey ha u naxaristee) had his strenghts and weaknesses like any of us. At that early stage, he may have side stepped some democratic processes that he carried into the later stages of his career, nevertheless June 26th 1960 was a time of great hope. His actions reflected the hopes an aspirations of the Greater Somali Nation. A great number of the people of Somaliland wanted to form a united country with the rest of the somalis and Egal's actions reflected the will of those people. In hindsight, its very easy to criticize people, but I have to wonder if any of us would have done differently than Egal given the atmosphere that prevailed at the time. Personally, had I been a young man in 1960 I probably would have been amongst the mob cheering as the Blue flag was hoisted over Hargeisa. People felt the only refuge they had from colonial and imperial influence was to stick with their Somali kin and seek strength in unity.

LANDER   

Oodweyne,

I agree, the leadership failed our people and as you mentioned it was fitting that Egal had a second chance to right a previous failure. Was the leadership right or justified in making the decision it made? I suppose that is debatable, the failure of that decision however is not so debatable as history would indicate.