Sign in to follow this  
Fabregas

Colonialism:USA and UN disagree on talks with Al Shabab

Fabregas   

For the first time in the history of Somali conflict, external actors have openly clashed over policies aimed at talks with Somali Islamist militants groups such as Al Shahab. In an interview with the BBC radio 4 flagship today programme, Ahmedou Ould-Abdallah the UN Special Representative to Somalia said he supports the idea of talks with any Somali.

“ I invite any Somali, whatever he is, extremist or not, to make the first step to rebuild his country. I am open to all of them, any Somali who needs to make peace, my door is open, my telephone lines are open, I am ready to call them and I call them. We should not raise the level of the discussion to US. US has nothing to do with it.

” The US Ambassador to Kenya, Michael Ranneberger disagrees: “ No, definitely not. The Al Shabab lacks any legitimacy in Somalia. I mean, they are an extremist group with significant outside support. I think that is , by and large, something anathema to the Somali people. I know what our position is. It is not appropriate for us or for the TFG to be talking to the Al Shabab. They don’t have the legitimacy that entitles them to be talked to,” he told Mike Thompson of the BBC.

http://somalinet.com /forums/viewtopic.ph p?f=18&t=224917&sid= 6978dd17a97cb201ca61 8349e588097f

So much for the cheese caravan then.

Liqaye   

So Ould-Abdallah and the U.S amabassador have "clashed" to use your terms on having talks with Al-shabaab.

Ahmed Ould feels that all somalis of any political dispensation should be negotiated with, whilst the ambassador simply beleives negotiating with an organisation that has no legitimacy would be akin to whisling in the Wind.

Contrast this with the clash with in al-shabaab over negotiating and discussing with the TFG.

What?

Exactly there is not internal or external debate, no clash of positions, no weighing of pro's and cons in dealing, negotiating or discussing with the goverment.

On al-shabaab side there is the universal refrain of war, war and more war.

Violence, fiasco, and fatadug nothing more nothing less.

[influenced by an organisation that has succeceded in the unique proposition of colonising the minds of al-shaabab with out actually being a state actor with vested intreasts]

[Futher influenced by a paraiah state, led by an individual that has destroyed the flower of a proud and victorious people in eriteria and wishes to do the same to the people of somalia!]

Who is colonised again? or are you still roasting the old chestnut of being an independent organisation?

But You are right there is no peace caravan when only one side desires peace and the other unclench es a fist full of bombs in return.

P.S your signature illustrates you fatitude to no end. Please do not delete it, it shall serve as a reminder when ever one might be tempted to take any of your drivel seriously. :D

The US has nothing to do with it. The UN is way more involved in Somalia.

And Shariif has always been down to talk to Shabaab. The thing is, Shabaab has to be down to talk too. So far the only talking they've done is of "revenge, expelling the gallo, killing the murtaad" and so on.

I'm sure there will be amnesty if Shabaab decides to take it easy.