Sign in to follow this  
AYOUB

Fatal Floods in Djibouti

AYOUB   

At least 50 die in Djibouti floods

At least 50 people have died and many more were missing in floods after torrential rains pounded Djibouti in east Africa this week, aid workers say.

Many homes were washed away as floodwaters surged along the dry Ambouli riverbed between the capital, also called Djibouti, and Balbala suburb, an area in which 65 per cent of the capital's 400,000 inhabitants live.

Inondations.jpgHelitreuillage.jpg

"So far the storm has claimed the lives of 50 people but as many as 100 more are missing and feared dead," Abdourahman Chamsan Saleh, the secretary general of the Djibouti Red Crescent Society, said.

The Red Crescent and national authorities estimate about 10,000 people have lost shelter and property.

The storm brought down telephone poles in the capital, causing a virtual communications blackout for four days. Electricity had been restored to about 50 per cent of the population.

Officials say they were concerned that only 40 per cent of the city's water supply, usually inadequate for the needs of its population, especially in the poorer suburbs, was functioning.

The Djibouti military, with the assistance of US and French military helicopters, evacuated about 1,500 people to the safe grounds of two schools.

--Reuters

Liqaye   

It is unfortunate but during my formative years i remeber djibouti becoming absolutley inundated when ever a few drops of rain fell, due to the rock hard nature of the dried out soil, hopefully the deaths of so many people will not be in vain and Djibouti will actually BENEFIT from their land rent to the americans by getting them to build some drainage systems.

LANDER   

dadkaa iilahee haa uu naxariisto, I've seen these killer floods first hand when I was child, the people who suffered the most where the poor who lived outside the cities and who didn't have adequate shelter. It's sad to hear about the deteriorating infrastructures in Djibouti.

Bambina   

Salam Alaykum ,

May Allah grant Janna to those who past away!

The floods have caused extensive damages and diseases might be on the rise because of the water contamined.

The HCI ( Human Concern International)is raising some funds to help Jabuuti so that people can get food , water , shelter and medecines.

Date and location :On Saturday , May 1, Alummni Theatre , Carleton University ,6:00-8:00Pm

City: Ottawa