Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Italian Somaliland: A Return to the UN Trusteeship System

Written by Mj. Abdirahman A Ali.

Dec 26, 2007 at 11:44 PM

If international community is serious and committed to solving crisis of Somalis, they should re-impose UN Trusteeship System similar of that in 1950 and recognize Republic of Somaliland as independent entity

In much analysis, Transitional Government of Somalia (TGS) failed to restored law and order in southern Somalia, including the vicious Mogadishu that paralyzed the country for about two decades. IGAD and Arab League also failed to install government in Somalia after 14 Peace Conferences in Arab and IGAD territories. It is likely that UN Trusteeship System that worked in the Italian Somaliland for about ten years in 1950’s will again restore law and order in Italian Somaliland.

Effective from January 27th 1950, General Assembly adopted a resolution recommending that Italian Somaliland be placed under an international trusteeship system, and requested the Italian government to be administrator of Italian Somaliland until further recommendations to lift the resolution. The decree worked fine between 1950 to 1960 and established local administration for the Italian Somaliland until the unity of Italian Somaliland with British Somaliland on 1st July 1960. Now, international community has all the legal authority it needs to shape a solution to humanitarian crises and armed conflicts around the world including Italian Somaliland, Mogadishu.

We can say, during trusteeship, Italian Somaliland passed through best of its history and people call it today “Golden era of Italian Somaliland”. A lot of development and basic social services were founded.

Whereas, the General Assembly, after having examined the question at its third and fourth sessions, adopted at its 250th plenary meeting on 21st November 1949 a resolution recommending, with respect to the territory formerly known as Italian Somaliland, that the territory shall be an independent and sovereign state; that its independence shall become effective at the end of the ten years from the date of approval of the Trusteeship Agreement by the General Assembly with Italy as Administrating Authority, aided and advised by an Advisory Council composed of representatives of Colombia, Egypt and the Philippines. Italian Somaliland remained under the trusteeship for ten years of prosperity and peace.

me   

The dude that wrote this should be shot. Is this dude advocating for colonialism?

Jacaylbaro....source???

me   

^So you are saying that the colonization should be upgraded......ever considered liberation?

To help you understand the situation.

1. Somali galbeed is colonized.

2. Parts of Somalia including the capital are occupied.

3. Other parts such as the North West of Somalia are allied with the Ethiopians that colonize Somali Galbeed and Occupy the Southern parts of Somalia.

So now that you understnad the situation better Jacaylbaro.....what is your opinion on this article?

It is just an opinion from someone ,,,,,

I just responded to you statement that someone is calling for a colonization ,,,, and i thought you believe it is already colonized.

For me, there is no difference between the black colony and the white one.

me   

1. Fahan what colonization means and how its different from occupation.

2. Isn't it funny that you are saying that your enity is independant from Somalia, yet you are calling for the colonization of southern Somalia, in the hope that that might help your cause for recognition.

I mean is that xaasidnimo or what?

ps. I gave you a chance to back away from calling for the colonization of Somalia.

As if i called ............ sxb read the article and bring your discussion like the other nomads here or keep silent.

Somalia is already colonized by the xabashis and the author called to put Somalia under the UN trusteeship instead until there is a government.

I don't necessarily agree with him but he has a point here ....

me   

There is no point for a discussion if you can't even grasp what colonization means.