Sign in to follow this  
StarGazer

Famous Women In Islam: 14 CD set

Salaams, I think this CD set is worth it.It's a bit pricey. Maybe I'll wait for the sale (if any) icon_razz.gif

===============================================================================

famous_women_banner.jpg

Famous Women in Islam

Dr. Umar Faruq 'Abd-Allah

Islamic history has one of the most remarkable legacies of famous women in human history. This CD set is primarily biographical and focuses on a select number of prominent women in Islamic history from the Age of the Prophet until modern times in a wide variety of areas from scholarship, mysticism, and poetry to social patronage, war, and politics. It shows that the status of women in Islamic societies has never been uniform or monolithic but has shifted from place to place, from age to age, and from class to social class. The greatest disparity, however, has been between the norms of the Prophetic period and those of subsequent ages. Prophetic society lacked the rigid divisions of social space that became characteristic of many traditional Islamic societies, and, as a rule, Prophetic society was more open and less patriarchal, giving women greater freedom and allowing them a conspicuous role within the matrix of social and civic life. A second major shift in women's status occurred during the colonial, post-colonial, and modern periods, when the position of Muslim women often deteriorated markedly. Although the class focuses on the legacies of particular women, it will look at their lives as an index of a number of concrete theological and legal issues pertaining to gender and sexuality in Islamic Law and Muslim culture. This set is not intended for women alone or just for Muslims.

Includes Class Notes.

http://www.masud.co.uk/shopping/famous_women.htm

http://www.nawawi.org/courses/class_women_islam.html

Hey sis,

I have the Famous Women in Islam CD's and mansha-allah, they are wonderful. I never new that there were so many wonderful muslim women who made our religion stronger and preserved Islam. The CD's not only cover women who are famous in Quran and hadith/spirituality but women worriors, scholars, builders, etc.

I recommend this CD to everyone. I saw Dr. Umar Faruq Abd-Allah (the presenter) speak once before in Chicago and he is very good in teaching and capturing one's attention. He is especially great in these CD's.

I would like to post some of the lecture notes from the CD's on here but I don't think its ok with the author.

I haope everyone who wants to learn about women in Islam go out and purchase these CD's. They are pricey but they are worth it.

Asalamu-Calykum !!!

Nervous chic....u serious u got it already? With your review, I might just get it sooner than expected smile.gif He's exceptional I heard, never had the pleasure of seeing him though. I once attempted to make it to a lecture he gave in Toronto this yr...it was never meant to be.

Here's a bit about him for those of you scratching your head...

Dr. Umar Faruq Abd-Allah (Wymann-Landgraf) is an American Muslim, born in 1948 to a Protestant family of the Midwest. Early in 1970, he embraced Islam in Ithaca, New York while studying English literature at Cornell University as a Woodrow Wilson honorary fellow. He then changed his field of study and transferred to the University of Chicago in 1972, where he received his doctorate with honors in 1978 for a dissertation pertaining to the origins of Islamic Law. He taught at the Universities of Windsor (Ontario), Temple, and Michigan from 1977 until 1982, when he left America to teach Arabic in Granada (Spain). In 1984, he was appointed to the Department of Islamic Studies at King Abdul-Aziz University in Jeddah and taught Islamic studies and comparative religions there until 2000. During his years abroad, Dr. Abd-Allah had the fortune to study with several traditional Islamic teachers. He returned to Chicago in August of 2000 to work as general director of the newly founded Nawawi Foundation and, in conjunction with this position, is now teaching in Chicago and conducting research in Islamic studies and cognate fields.