Sign in to follow this  
The Observer.

community development!

hey all!

i would like to throw something out here, i believe alot of us come here to find wat people are thinking, and wat is going around the communities etc, and people's beliefs and getting help from one another.

i owuld like to talk about community development interms of our somali communities, there are alot of kids who are having a hard time with schools and the whole issue of culture shock, and i would like people to start thinking on how they could help their communities on where they live, even if there isn't a somali comunity where you are at, just go and helpout, see what the schools are doing, cause i mean, in toronto there are a lot of cutbacks, and the new highschool curriculum, majority of our brothers and sisters might endup droping out, and kids in jails etc, you know the rest, now wat type of things could we as young people work together in and help the younger brothers and sisters out there to keep them away from trouble, and learn, not only the western culture but the somali culture etc

thankyou

Hey whats up sosodef . Its a shame that all to often the potential more usefull topics dont get as much contributions as they perhaps should.

I dont no the situation in canda, hopefull in due course someone else will perhaps give u some information.

However for those of you nomads who are in the uk i stumpled across a quite usefull site which provided a few places to reference if ever you where thinking of participating in some community work.

Contact Details For Community Work

thanks bro

its not taht i don';'t know where to get the community places, i do, and have been involved, its just we need more people to come out and do the real thing other than waisting time, and think of jammin all the time u know what am sayin.

Miriam1   

Lovely topic, Sosodeaf..kinda eerie we had a school assembly the other day about the same topic community involvement and offering our time for tutoring services.

As for the new criculm having to be one of those first timers(grd.12) i can vouch for its diffuclty. If a student is unwilling to be dilgent there is no way he/she can pass through the cracks. The work load is not funny its crazy.On top of that many of us are trying to scrap up enough money for university as many ppl might not be accepted for osap due twice the number of students applying.

I dont live in a place where there is a strong somali community (scaraborough) but i do understand where ur coming from.

The school cuts are not has bad as thought, that is atleast in the highschools.The thing that is slowing us down is the damned stricks and work to rule by teachers..tis really irrating. When u ask ur teacher for help and she replies by saying " sorry due to the strike i cant help u, i will be going against my union" GOD ! who is more important the union or a student who is willing asking for help.

There is a alot of help out there..but tis the person who it all depends on.

Peace smile.gif