Sign in to follow this  
Delilah

How do you remember Somalia?

Delilah   

Hey ppl, even though i wasn't in Somalia for a very long time, i have fond memories of what it used to be, and this is how i choose to remember MY SOMALIA!!!

The country where i grew up in is not known to the world for its captivating, nor for its entertaining lights, but for the bloodshed and the corruption that took place for thirteen years. I am lucky, however, for i don't remember my country that way. I only remember the lush leaves, the freen grass, and the breeze that felt so good. I also remember the rising and the setting of the sun that was magnificently beautiful. that is how i choose to remember my country. It was a place pf peace and prosperity. A place where you didn't have to keep looking behind your shoulder all the time wondering whether or not someone was going to kill you. The lessons i learned in my country forever shaped my life. During my childhood, i saw my country go from good, to bad, to worse, but it is slowly coming back to how it used to be when happiness and harmony existed in the nation.

the summers in my country were beautiful. The leaves covered every single branch of the trees. It was a place of relaxation for the grown-ups for they would just sit there and wonder about the world. For the children, however, it was a place of wondrous climbling. The higher you climbed, the thicker the leaves got. The leaves at the top of the trees were so thick and flat that you could see the veins very distinctly. The veins on the leaves looked like hundreds of rivers parting thier own way to form millions of tiny streams. The grass would grow green and lush. It would grow to such an extreme height that you would have to jump to see over it. Coconut trees dominated the banks near the river. they looked innocent, yet dangerous. They were the suppliers of coconut juice and toy bowls for the children. Occasionally one of those balls that hung up high on the trees would drop on you, leaving a rather big bump on your head. That happened to me about threes times. Two of those times was my brother kicking the tree!! Rain came with summer. It was expected. We only have two seasons: it was either extreme rain ro extreme dryness. It rained very hard during the rain season. We would be rushed inside and the rain would just pour down. It rained fast at first, but gradually slowed down. You would be able to hear the sound of the rain on the roof and its fascinating pattern of ra-ta-ta. When it finished, we would come out and the aroma would just hit you. The smell of fresh dew was so powerful. Summers were great back home.

People would have been able to compare my country's greatness to anyother country around the world, but it seems now that the only country to compare it with is itself. Many years of war ruined the once precious soil. My country might not have been the best place to grow up when looking at it safety wise, but i learned many great htings, and the scenery ( it left) is still imprinted in my mind and will forever remain there. I still remember the clear night sky, the twinkling stars, and the massive moon with its silvery face glowing. My home country had a major impact on me, even if i didn't live there for a long time. My home country was everything to me and will probably remain that way. My home country was SOMALIA!!! icon_razz.gif

SO...GUYS THIS IS HOW I CHOOSE TO REMEMBER SOMALIA, WHAT ABOUT THE REST OF YOU GUYS? TELL ME, HOW DO U CHOOSE TO REMEMBER SOMALIA? :confused:

book1   

all i wanna say is, keep doin wht u doin ...i really love it when i see somali youth speak there minds in a positive way ...identity to our heritage is so needed to promote a way out.

Cawralo   

My Somalia...

hot concrete..

heavy rain..

my first school day..

my first school uniform (white blouse blue skirt)..

my first teacher *Nasra*..

The somali flag..

The anthem..

Siyaad Barre..

Beautiful shores..

Macalin maxamad @ the dugsi..

Ciid & Ciid clothes..

My familia..

"My" Mango-tree..

.. I shall forever mourn the death of "My" Somalia.