Sign in to follow this  
Flamboyant

Have you noticed how Somalis have high rate of diabetes?

I bet, everyone in here at least knows some one in his or her immediate or extended family that has diabetes. In my own family, my dad is diabetic. He had it for 10 years and he’s become quite the expert when it comes to this disease. I wish I could say same thing about the rest of my family members that are diabetic. From my fathers side, I have an uncle and an aunt that are diabetic. Also three of my cousins, and one of my cousin’s daughters have been diagnosed. From my mother’s side, my mom’s sister and her cousin are diabetic and also my cousin’s son has recently been diagnosed. They all have one thing in common and that is, they know very little about this disease and are all very careless when it comes to their diet and looking after themselves. I recently discovered just from talking to my Somali friends how rampant this disease is amongst Somalis. I was amazed to find out, that huge proportion of them had parents’ cousins and extended family members that had the disease.

So, as a result of the above findings, get tested for diabetes if you notice that you:

-Are unusually thirsty, hungry or urinating a lot

-Lose or gain weight very quickly

-Have blurred vision

-Have tingling and/or numbness in hands or feet

-Have slow healing wounds

-Overweight

-Have family history of diabetes

Macalin   

Sxb,I do know this FIRST hand!

My dad was told late he had diabetes,Why he never bothered to check himself....

We Dont excersise alot,we add sugar in almost anything,from malawax to basto,we need education on this!...

I'm glad u brought this up...there is indeed a noticeable portion of our elderly (mostly) population that have diabetes. Now the type differs (type I or type II)

I'm really interested in diabetes tho...i'm goin' to school to do (hopefully inshallah) do research on it....especifically insulin secreting beta cells and islets.

motivation-close family member has diabetes

It really goes back to a lack of exercise and not watching how we eat and what we eat. It is a bad disease my dad had it for a long time...

Iffah   

Contrary to popular belief, consuming alot of sugar does not cause Diabetes. However, sugar is a problem when the person has diabetes becuase it can increase the blood sugar level.

As BB said, there are two types of diabetes (1 & 2). Type 2 diabetes is more prevalent in Somalis of older age (30 and above). Hypertension is another problem in our community, which is a risk factor for Diabetes along with obesity and high cholesterol.