Sign in to follow this  
Maxamed Caday

The Largest Somali Mall in North America!

Baluug   

LOOOOOOL that Admin's baby face must be the most intimidating baby i've ever seen.We were talking about this new mall and about Columbus and all of a sudden,there's the face of FEAR staring back at us!!LOL gave me the chills.But seriously admin,I think you should keep this thread,it's one of the few good ones :D

You know, I lived in Toronto for one year. I got married at Khalid ibn Walid Masjid. I used to live in Etobicoke, over by Scarlettwood Ct., around the corner from Dixon. I was Niinka Caanaha (the Milkman), delivering milk to all the Somali families in the Dixon Buildings and surrounding areas. So I know Toronto. I left there to come back to Ohio and now I work as a manager at this mall just so I can give something back to the Somali community here, who have been so helpful to me over the last few years. Columbus is not a bad place. I grew up here. I have visited nearly every major city in North America, and some in Europe as well. Columbus may not be the most beautiful place, but who cares about the dunya anyway. This has become an international city within the span of just a few years, with immigrants from all over the world coming here. The Somalis alone have permanently changed the face of Columbus really. There must be at least 40 thousand or more by now, and more are coming steadily. Life here is inexpensive, cheap rent, plenty of housing and I have had no trouble finding a variety of different jobs to choose from, all making decent enough money to live on. And there are a couple of really nice Somali restaurants here by the way. African Paradise, Darbo, and others. I have been to Xamdi's many times. It's good.. Afgooyo is nice too... but African Paradise is just as good if you ask me smile.gif . They have done so well here as a matter of fact, they just opened a second location in Minneapolis, bigger and nicer than the one here in Columbus.

As for young Somali entrepaneurs, I just posted part of an article called Fresh Starts, written by a local journalist who attended the grand opening of the Global Mall. He had some nice things to say about the Somali community and what they have achieved here in Columbus. Check it out. Here is the link: http://www.theglobalmall.net/pub/about.htm

You know what's funny. Here in Columbus there is an area in the city populated by a large group of Somalis, which is marked by these twin towers with pyramid shaped tops. That area is frequently referred to as Naasa Hablood because of the appearance of those two pointy topped buildings.. heheheh icon_razz.gif