Sign in to follow this  
cynical lady

Campaign against masculine women

Chimera   

Originally posted by cynical lady:

I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

I'm sure it is, what would any masculine woman see in a redblooded chauvinistic caveman like me? They probably want tutti-fruity's.

Adam are you even remotely acquainted with the feminist discourse?

Bits and pieces. I personally believe men and women have specific behaviorial patterns part of their natural system, that will always remain the same, even in a world entirely ruled by women.

Originally posted by Sayid*Somal:

How do you say feminist in Af-Soomaali??

Anyone??

Araweelo.

Marhaddaad maqasho adeerkaayyo leh, taasi waa araweelo macnaheedo taasi waa rag cadowgi

quote:

Norf- By western clothes you mean trousers, shirts, jeans etc??

Yes.

But you do know trousers aren’t a western invention?

quote:

And in this case will i be right to say...We’re questioning this surge of westernisation process because it’s the women who are wearing them?

According to this article the Qatari people are questioning it yes. They have their reasons (religion and culture) and are entitled to express their opinions. However, I doubt the article is accurate in that people are calling for beheadings (a predictable nugget inserted to entertain it's uninformed readership).

I agree on the first count their entitled to express their opinions, but its imposing them upon others i have a problem with. Now these people who are wearing that, are out of conscious/individual choice to wear what they deem is appropriate on their bodies and we should respect that and not subjugate them to what some might regard as socially acceptable clothing’s. Won’t you agree?

quote:

And we shouldn’t question/mount similar campaign to bring back men cultural attire?

The men in Qatar are still wearing their dishdasher/khamiis. The ones in Kuwait have been wearing jeans and western clothing for years. They were also scrutinised in the same way.

Come on Norf, are you seriously saying the campaign has/is equal in its scrutiny? How can this be in a society that is clearly very much gendered? in such patriarchal societies (and i use patriarchal loosely) any cultural shift that gives women some form of choice or emancipation from their situations tends to be viewed as a process of “westernisation” thus attract a backlash and more or less women find themselves fighting for their spaces...and by rendering it as such denies women there agency thus robbing them of their experiences/rights and this in itself is an act of power. Hence-why it’s important to recognise that we can do without certain cultural regulations, especially ones that subjugate women....what is good for women/not shouldn’t be decided by men or cultural governors, women should be able to exercise their right to voice/choice and agency without fear.

All in all, such issues boil down to the perceived modesty Muslim women are expected to keep/adhere to in a Muslim country.

Intriguing as it may, we shall agree to disagree on that one.

The laws are different to the EU, the culture is different (more conservative) and the older generation (who control the media/cultural establishments) didn't go through the same process when they were younger.

Now we get to the heart of the matter- conservative culture. Now do you think these cultures need to change when it comes to issues of women’s rights? (Now am also using women loosely here, since we’re not a homogenous entity but rather heterogeneous with distinct needs and wants depending on individual sights)

The country has developed more in the last 10 years than it did in the previous 200.

And i agree, it most certainly has, but we must not regress/use that as an excuse to curtail progress, we must march forward and make progress and demand women to be given the right, choice to do/wear what they like without the fear of prosecution.

All of this is in itself an indication that women rights, have long way to go before its fully realised by its intended recipients.

blyme i just had a very interesting evening, but i must catch up with my sleep.

N.O.R.F   

I agree on the first count their entitled to express their opinions, but its imposing them upon others i have a problem with. Now these people who are wearing that, are out of conscious/individual choice to wear what they deem is appropriate on their bodies and we should respect that and not subjugate them to what some might regard as socially acceptable clothing’s. Won’t you agree?

Parents have the same right to object to what their kids are wearing. If they feel their kids are dressing inappropriately they are entitled to let them know about their disapproval. On a societal level, Qatar is a Muslim country where the dress code is one of modesty (Islamically and culturally). It cannot be equated with the EU/West where societal expectations as well as governing laws vary considerably.

Come on Norf, are you seriously saying the campaign has/is equal in its scrutiny? How can this be in a society that is clearly very much gendered? in such patriarchal societies (and i use patriarchal loosely) any cultural shift that gives women some form of choice or emancipation from their situations tends to be viewed as a process of “westernisation” thus attract a backlash and more or less women find themselves fighting for their spaces...and by rendering it as such denies women there agency thus robbing them of their experiences/rights and this in itself is an act of power. Hence-why it’s important to recognise that we can do without certain cultural regulations, especially ones that subjugate women....what is good for women/not shouldn’t be decided by men or cultural governors, women should be able to exercise their right to voice/choice and agency without fear.

This is the middle east dear. I don’t see why you’re surprised that this is happening.

When all of the peripheral issues are done away with there remains Islam as the governing law of Qatar/ME. Those in power believe it is their duty to dissuade any members of their populace from veering into what can be construed by them as contradictory to Islam. An Arab ruler will not change those laws nor will he tell parents to respect what their kids wear even if they disapprove.

The question here is:

If clothing worn by women in Qatar are contrary to what the ruler believes is prescribed in Islam, is it wrong for the government to try and change it (back to something that is, according to them, Islamically correct)?

Now we get to the heart of the matter- conservative culture. Now do you think these cultures need to change when it comes to issues of women’s rights? (Now am also using women loosely here, since we’re not a homogenous entity but rather heterogeneous with distinct needs and wants depending on individual sights)

Is it a right to wear what you want as a Muslim in a Muslim country where the laws are Islam and you’re expected to dress modestly? We’re not just talking about women here either. Men are frowned upon for wearing shorts, walking around shirtless, wearing tight jeans/clothing etc.

And i agree, it most certainly has, but we must not regress/use that as an excuse to curtail progress, we must march forward and make progress and demand women to be given the right, choice to do/wear what they like without the fear of prosecution.

It is expected that a Muslim woman dresses modestly. If she doesn’t, like I alluded to earlier, those in power will try to dissuade them. Even foreigners are told to dress modestly when landing in the country.

It is important to differentiate between societies/laws in the west and societies/laws in the ME. There will never be the same rights in both societies and, most importantly, individual rights are in line with their respective laws (in both London and Doha).

GJ- I make a point not to respond to people who frame their responses around religion.

:D common .. you're taking your ball and going home ?

ailamos   

GJ- I make a point not to respond to people who frame their responses around religion.

I think you're my new hero :D