Sign in to follow this  
Haystak

THE MOST DISCUSSED TOPIC, WITHIN THE SOMALI COMMUNITY!

Haystak   

Whenever groups of Somali people discuss ancestry, almost all the time those groups will agree that we as Somali people, are descendants of Arabs. I for one, strongly disagree with that false claim. Somali people these days, in general, usually have a hard time agreeing on topics. So I’m left clueless about, why so many Somali people, agree with this claim? One of the most commonly repeated reasons, why us Somali people must be Arabs is, the difference in features, when compared to our other African brothers/Sisters. I have to admit, although Somali people look different from other Africans, that still does not prove that we are descendants of Arabs. For starters, who said all black people looked the same? A West African might not look like an African, from the Southern portion of our beautiful continent. Same case goes for Central-Africans, East-Africans, and so on. So hopefully that point has been made clear. All Africans have a slight, if not major a difference in appearance, which is common of a certain region, or people. Another commonly echoed reason is, the majority of Somali people, follow the Islamic faith. The same faith embraced by all the near by Gulf nations. Well, to disprove this, you don’t have to look to fare. Turkey and Indonesia are two Islamic nations, which have no ancestral history with Arab people. Meaning it is possible to be a Muslim, and not share a common ancestry with Arabs. Another claim, to prove how we are descendents of Arabs, which I have heard is. Somali people have never been used as slaves. Well, Ethiopians can claim the same thing, and they don’t claim to be descendents of Arabs. In addition, inhabitants of Zanzibar share ancestry with Arabs, but were used as slaves. Therefore, that claim bares no real weight, in proving our ancestral links with Arab people. Although the Somali culture, and language at times, resembles that of the Arabs, it still does not prove, that we are descendents of Arabs. There are many words in our language today, which we share in common with the Italian, English, and Urdu languages, just to name a few. Somali people are known to embraces other cultures, and so on, very quickly. We are very adaptable. Moreover, there is an Islamic Hadith which says, you must love the life of the prophet Muhammad, more then your own life. Which would easily lead some of Somalia’s, mostly Muslim population, to embrace the culture of Prophet Muhammad, in an attempt, to be like our prophet. In addition, since the Quran was written in Arabic. You are forced, to learn the language of the prophet, to learn the deeper meaning of the Quran. Moreover, if you were to look at the Arab world today. You would notice, every Arab nation speaks Arabic as an official language. There are no tribal languages, or anything of that sort, it is strictly Arabic. In Somalia, even the smallest tribe, speaks Somali, but might not speak Arabic. This is also the same case for Djibouti. Were maybe a slight minority speaks Arabic, but they are still members of the Arab league. One major point to disprove Somali people as descendents of Arabs is, before the arrival of Arabs into Somalia. The Chinese and Portuguese both sailed to Somalia, and documented, how locals (Somali people) greeted them. Both the Chinese and Portuguese arrived in Somalia, way before Somali people even embraced the Islamic faith, which was brought to us by the Arabs. Meaning, we have no links with Arabs. Since our first encounter, was when they brought Islam to us. Why don’t we claim to be descents of Portuguese, or the Chinese? The Oromo people of Ethiopia look like us Somali people, share a similar culture with us, and their language is very similar to ours. These Oromo people I am talking about, have the second longest documented history in Africa. Why don’t we claim to be Oromo? Or better yet, why aren’t Oromo people considered Somali people? Something like a lost tribe LOL? What I’m trying to say is, similarities don’t always guarantee ancestral links. The case of the Somali people reminds me of, the African-Americans. Only difference is it happen in a different Continent, with a slightly different twist. African Americans, were robbed of their original names, original culture, original religion, and given a new language, to communicate with. In addition, they share no ancestral links, with the White man. Maybe a handful of inbreeding cases, but nothing big enough, to really consider. Hmm, this sounds very similar to the case of the Somali, and the Arabs. I have talked to many Somali ppl, about this issue, and when I tell them, of all the facts, I have to disprove Arab links. They simply say, even if we aren’t Arabs, we might aswell claim to be. For their culture, and civilization is greater then ours. This world is full of brain washed people. Black people wish they were white, white people wish they were black, and Somali people, wish they were Arab. All of these people, have been mentally abused, and put down to the point, they subconsciously feel inferior to the other. Well...I've said to much, I'll give you all a chance, to speak your mind on the topic.

Siman   

I don't think U can compare African American with Somalis. What are the similarities U are looking @ when U making your comparison.

I am not historian, but apparrently Arabs and Somalis mingle in great deal, they inter-married and shared many things in a possitive way and U can not compare that type of relationship with what african americans went through.

Guto   

"The case of the Somali people reminds me of, the African-Americans. Only difference is it happen in a different Continent, with a slightly different twist. African Americans, were robbed of their original names, original culture, original religion, and given a new language, to communicate with. In addition, they share no ancestral links, with the White man. Maybe a handful of inbreeding cases, but nothing big enough, to really consider. Hmm, this sounds very similar to the case of the Somali, and the Arabs"

Haystak, U confused me bro, make some clearifications. Are U saying that Somalis were robbed of their original religion culture and given new religion and language like African Americans? As Siman clearly stated, there is no such comparison existed. Somalis embraced Islam @ their homeland and was honored to make Islam their religion and culture like many other people who upto now embracing Islam as their faith which makes Islam the fast growing religion in the world. Because Somalis are Muslim it is no suprised we have common culture with not only arabs but all the muslim in the world and arabs are the closest geographically atleast to Somalis. Islam reach Somalia before the death of Prophet Mohamed(SWW) and since that time Somalis and Arabs inter mingled and intermarried. As far as comparing Somali-Arab relationship which was based religion and brotherhood and respect with African American and their White Master is ludicrous. not to mention, 20% of the American who were bruough to American as slaves were Muslims.

Haystack....Feeling little afrocentric Huh?

Here is dose of reality, somalis have more things in common with arabs and ethopians than they do with bantu Africa. It is not just the religious and cultural connections but also linguistical connections.Somalis along with ethopians, Hebrews, egpytians, nubians, berbers and arabs are in the same Afro-Asiatic langauge group.Since you are trying somalis are not related to arabs, what i like to ask sir, what do we have in common with Yoruba of Nigeria, the bushmen or the pygmies of the congo other than our skill color. Apart from Swahili which is mixed arabic and some cushtic languages, tell me any bantu langauge that related to us in anyway.

As for ethopians, if we would check their history, they claim to be the descents of queen sheba and king solomon and eriteans trace their back to southern yemen. As the for the question who are somalis, we did mingle with arabs, the arab connection is over-exxagurated, the somali along with our cousin oromos, afars,egyptians, berbers, Chadians, and nubians are part of the Cushtic family who have lived in east and north Africa for ages.

Sup bro

I took the time to read this Haystak, but brotha your not making no sence here & your scarring of momads writting this much! No hard feelings aight keep it real and keep it short!!

much love!

Gabbal   

Haystack, bro the Somali people are descended from two chains that intermingled, the Cushitic (also called hamatic) and Semitic chains. Arabs and Persiand came and married into the Cushites in the present Somali peninsula. That was the start of the Somali people.

If you want a detailed Somali origins history check this link out:

http://www.civicwebs.com/cwvlib/africa/somalia/1995/reunification/appendix_4.htm

You'll find:

fig_a4-2.gif

and other things.

Haystak   

I’ve been away for awhile…just noticed this topic was still alive. Anyway let me make myself clear. First of all it’s really ignorant to believe a group of people, created an already existing group of people. Explorers from China, Portugal, etc who arrived in Somali centuries before the Arabs, documented how they were greeted by native people, upon their arrival. Now please tell me how we are Arab, if we were already living in Somalia, before any Arab exposure? Moreover, the connection I was trying to show between Afro-Americans and Somalis are. Today Afro-American really don’t have much of a culture to call their own, they don’t have their own language, etc. Somali people compared to other Africans, don’t have much of a culture, a good portion of our language got Arabic in it now, and so on. In addition, if you look at every Arab league member, Arabic is their official language…except for…you got it…Djibouti and Somalia. And that person that displayed that chart. I’ve seen it before, however, it’s totally irrelevant, because it was drawn up by a bunch of White folks who don’t know $hit about our history, and a bunch of brain washed Somali people. Anyway, I’ll look for more proof to show you all, how ignorant it is to believe we are Arab decedents. Till then you guys really need to come with stronger cases yourselves. Because if I’m still debating…y’all aren’t doing a good job.

N.O.R.F   

Somalia was part of the Otoman empire which spread all over the middle east, asia and africa. Haystak, the arabs did not create an already existing ppl. they came, inter-married etc and the rest as they say is history!

Haystak   

Oh so now we were apart of the Ottaman Empire huh LOL? Look, I guess non of you will ever come with some hard facts. So till then, I'll keep believing in what I believe in, and won't bother defending my case, till somebody posts something that really proves me wrong...and it better be full of facts.