Sign in to follow this  
Grant

Looking for old friends

Grant   

Grant is my real name. I am a white American, a former Peace Corps volunteer. I taught English at the government school in Jilib in 1966-67, and was cut off from my friends in 1969. I have been active on Snet for the past two years.

Many of the posters who appealed most to me on Snet have moved on and the current crop are a bit young for some discussions. I hope to bump into some old friends here.

Dhubad.   

^Welcome on board M Grant. I think the majority of SOL users are a bit young but nevertheless, if you throw some names,I am sure there will be someone who will help you.

People like Miskin Macruuf might know you old friends :D

Castro   

Originally posted by Grant:

I taught English at the government school in Jilib in 1966-67,
and was cut off from my friends in 1969.

Unfortunately, Somalia, for all intents and purposes, was cut off from the world that same year, 1969. Those whom you befriended during those years are likely to have become bitter refugees scattered around the world.

Chimera   

B. September 1986

Ps Mr Grant do you have any pictures of your stay in Somalia and the school you taught at?

Som@li   

I know some1 who used to be in the Peace Corps in that time, please tell us what areas and names you remember.

The Peace Corps is America's gift to the World. I have never seen such a dedicated bunch of beautiful blonde Americans doing such a wonderful job.

I should know,I once fell in love with one really hot peace corp. She didn’t know I was in love but it still was love. icon_razz.gif

Grant   

I have been to Hargeisa, Taleex, Eyl, Dhuusamareb, Beledweyne, Afgoi, Merka, Shangaanii and Hamarcaadde, Barawe, Kismayu, Jamame and several of the small villages around Jilib.

Hersi Magan Isse, the father of Ayaan, was my language instructor at Columbia.

My closest friend and the only one I have a complete name for was Abdi Salaad Sugule, who at that time was secretary to the Somali-Soviet agricultural project just outside Jilib.

My landlord, who actually visited me here in the States in late summer of 1969, was director of the "Agraria", the government research station across the river for at least 1966-69. In Osmaniya script I think his name would be written Siid Cali, but I never knew the third name. He was enough older than me I doubt he is alive, but two of his children were students of mine and I would love to hear from any of his family.

Photography was not a generally approved hobby in the Sixties, at least not for gallo. I did have a camera and do have some very grainy black and whites somewhere of my classes and a few friends. They are somewhere out in the garage where I have not been able to put my hands on them in years. No guarantees since it's very full and messy out there, but I will look.

nuune   
Grant, Welcome to SOL, and please look for those pictures, it would be a gift to SomaliaOnline, thanks.

Chimera   

Interesting story Mr Grant, during the 50s,60s Osmanya was used in Somalia to print news papers for the public and even letters for government officials, did you ever teach this script to your students? and do you have any examples of old newspapers and school books written with this script?

about the pictures no problem but still thanks in advance!

ElPunto   

^Welcome Grant. Do you have any favourite stories or reminences about your time in Somalia? Please share them if you do.

king_450   

Grant ,those ppl you mentioned are too old to be in Snet, they are the ones who ruined badly in somalia so i hope u need to dissassociated with them unless u are giving them advise how to rape innocent somalis.Most of the ppl in here are those who born in the late 80's.

Som@li   

Nice story Grant, I asked the old Somali guy who used to work for the Peace Corps about your name, unfortunately he cant remember you, he was based in Mogadishu,and was one of the interpreters.

He told a story of how people couldnt believe and got upset with you guys after you showed a flim on the Apollo Moon Landing.

Anyway, welcom to SOL