Sign in to follow this  
Khayr

Smash that clock saxib

Khayr   

No schedules. No mandatory meetings. Inside Best Buy's radical reshaping of the workplace

The shape of future employment. No clocking out at 5pm. You are the property of the company 24/7. redface.gif

For those working in the stores, this means less work hours, more part time employees. It forces people out of full time jobs and they now will have to work 2-3 part time jobs, just to clock in 40hrs of paid workd.

ailamos   

I like the idea, but for certain jobs, such as mine, physical presence is a must :( although I wish I could supervise construction activities from home, I wouldn't be able to get anything done because there are a lot of physical stuff that needs to be done.

Khayr   

The argument is precisely that - it is not for all areas of employment. For the tech industry that is based on research and innovation, marketing and IT Solutions, the idea of the flexible work schedule is feasible. For all us, it is not and it is another way for companies to cut costs and for Executives to get bigger Bonuses because they screwed all those beneath them.

Like one of the commentators on the site said, one major drawback is that some managers may misunderstand the spirit of this policy and use it to seep into employeess free time.

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by ailamos:

I like the idea, but for certain jobs, such as mine, physical presence is a must
:(
although I wish I could supervise construction activities from home, I wouldn't be able to get anything done because there are a lot of physical stuff that needs to be done.

you an engineer saxib?

ailamos   

^^ yes, an environmental engineer... the job was fun until they put me in charge of health and safety recently in addition to my regular duties :( the company's been trying to polish up its record and intensifying H&S the past couple of years... how about you? I assume from what i read that you're in construction as well?