Sign in to follow this  
Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

Inbreeding?

I was reading the Toronto Star as usual the other day when, on their opinion page, I came across this piece. The very first and second paragraphs had these sentences:

A friend of mine spent six months as a student teacher last year at a Toronto inner-city school. The student population in the school, from Junior Kindergarten through to Grade 8, is predominantly black. One of the first pieces of advice her host teacher shared with my friend was not to waste too much time on the Jamaican kids because they'd never amount to anything and most would likely end up in jail anyways.

As for the Somali students, she was told, it was likely "inbreeding" that accounted for their "total lack of intelligence."

This immediately revolted and dismayed me unexpectedly. I never in my entire life heard that Soomaalis inbred that much or that we "lacked intelligence."

I immediately scrolled down to see if the author, who was Jamaican, had an email and try to inquire further, even though she didn't exactly harboured those thoughts since she was only trying to quote a friend who was a supply teacher in a new school when another teacher confided her to those racist thoughts.

The rest of article doesn't regard Soomaalis specifically, for it advocates black-only schools in Ontario.