Sign in to follow this  
Sky

images of the dry tropics - somalia's rich tropical flora

Sky   

http://sky-african.blogspot.com/2005/02/images-of-dry-tropics-somalias-rich.html

enjoy :cool: if anybody got some more pix of strange and exclusively somali flora/fauna be sure to share it with me. im having a nature-obsession these last days, ive been watching national geographic channel and animal planet too much last weeks.

did you guys know that there is an antilope internationally known as garanuk. the word is from the soomaali word garanuug that the british adopted from the somali people in nfd.

^ Do you live in the UK by any chance? I only ask because I visited the Royal Botanic Gardens in Kew a few years ago and was gobsmacked by the number of plants exclusive to Somalia they hold. The realisation that, due to the huge loss of biodiversity in the region, most, if not all, of these florae are probably extinct by now, is quite sobering.

This is their website...

Sky   

no velvet i dont live in the uk, but i have been to the uk 5/6 times visiting family in london and birmingham. an uncle of mine took me to the british library and museum, but not to the royal garden. but after you told me they have a lot of exclusively somali flora, i will make sure ill visit it insha Allaah.

the biodiversity indeed has been damaged profoundly by nature and humans alike. pretty heartwrenching. in my visit to somalia last year i was lucky to see some jackals, thats all. while there used to be lions only 3/4 decades ago.

if you want i can give you links of somali environmental organisations that are busy replanting forrests, preserving endangered plants etc.

That's not a bad idea. If you could PM them to me, I would be grateful. And by all means do visit Kew Gardens the next time you're in this neck of the woods, Insha'Allah. Its absolutely amazing.

Intel   

5172308_903e20a95c_m.jpg

hehe how funny, i got a photo of me standing on top of that exact Dundumo :D

its near the village of Canbaaroh

back then (2001) it was right in the middle of bushes.. what happened :eek: is it the drought.

did you take it yourself Sky?

Sky   

velvet check your pm, you will be grateful. :D

dinho, ill make sure il update it every now and then.

rokko, saaxib frank horwood, an australian botanist took them in the 80s. show us your pictures then.

Intel   

an Aussie in Bari in the 80s eey :D

well it still there and it looks exactly the same...except its surroundings

and the pic.. sorry mate i'd rather not smile.gif