Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Could you tell me why?

The somali culture and language is one of the few ones that use the same terms when a parent is calling his child or vice-verse.A somali mother would say Hooyo when talking or calling to her her kids.

The same goes for the father(aabe), the uncles( adeer, Abti),the aunts( eedo, habaryar) n the grandparents( Ayeeyo n Awoowe.

I never asked this myself but iam wondering why our Hooyos call us Hooyo when they wanna our attention. How could the same word be used by the parents and their offsprings?

Honesita   

Adiga maxaad maskaxda iskaga wareerinee...just use the word and let ur momy call u hooyo...lol..!!!

Kiddin', but i always wondered that too....but its kinda cute.....i luv callin' caruurta aan eedo iyo habo u ahay 'eedo' iyo 'habiyar...!!!

Salaamz

Nazra   

Mother's are used to having us call them "hooyo" 24/7.

That was the way we got there attention,

now days mother's and especailly new mother's have to adpat us calling them "hooyo" in order to get attention from them.

So the word becomes addictive to children and mother's tend to use that word when they want attention from there kids.

A mother might say to her son/daughter: "hooyo, can u get me that" the word has been over used and somehow addictive and yet becomes a way to GRAP ATTENTION from their kids.

And mother's do still miss being called "hooyo" though they are using it.

I must admit, somali ppl are the only ppl who call there kids, what they kids should have called.

No other culture does that.

A problem that i must avoid when i become a mother.

Good question.

Che-Guevara quiet honestly i dont think there is an vivid explanation for your question but all the reasons why we should be appreicating our language and culture. & nasra hon, - lets be realistic for a second shall we...would you be willing to teach your children (god hoping you get it) the western tradition even haven liven there as well.? _-least you can do is have some sort of culture engraved in their heads.---i did like to stay in touch but i gotta run off....but keep me posted.

Miriam1   

Its a tender way of getting the attention of a child to us it makes sense, but to a person from another culture well it will make no sense.

The same goes for any other lanugage, they have terms that have a certain meaning to them alone but when translated to english or any other language sound absurd!

For example in arabic the word eyes are used in almost every love song but here in the western culture they dont understand the romantic inclinations of the word in the arabs it has evovled form tis literal meaning to somting else..what i am trying to say that certain words come alive in certain languages there is no reason really for us to compare our method of communication with other languages its uncomparable.