Sign in to follow this  
lol

Etiquettes and how we accomodate them!

Macalin   

Yes u right, Laakin ever Heard of FARXAL?...U know where U recieve a BOWL of WARM water with Some SOAP,and then u know u LIKE WASH UR HANDS right? and u kinda like sanitize urself!?right? and u enjoy ur bariis and then lick ur fingers after words?..... :D

On the other side, what makes u think the untensils themselves are well sanitizedd?, i mean in maqayadaha themselves ppl(think of 1000's) DONE usd them,and lord knows whats in their mouths!..i'd rather take me own GERMS than someonelse's!...Lawd have mercy on ME

^^

U lil troublemaker! I'm just glad you havent used da word 'screw' in that post - u been pretty obssesed with it lately :D

On a serious note, who is gonna give u 'farxal' in a restaurant? duh! + those 'maqayo' dont qualify as sanitary eating grounds - not with those unclean surroundings, odayaasha with horrible stares and even worse feedin skills and the sharing of food - yuck!

Also, if you visit any decent restaurant, you'll realize the plates and utensils are warn..its cuz thet have been sterilized bu placing them in microwaves... :rolleyes:

Senora   

^^I was just abt to say something abt that Nomad.....you guys are complaining about your hands not being sanitary, what about your spoons and forks.....what about the plats your food is in...what about your food!!Unless you guys only eat what you make.....wash your plates before you clean them...and your spoons and forks....make sure you get rid of any tempation to lick your finger....then maybe you have a case here...but if not, then Give me a break!!

lol... you guys act as if you never used your hand to eat b4....what do you do when you eat Caanjeero, or chicken wings...or a burger, or other sandwich....or when u eat fries, pizza, or potato chips?.....what about when you rub your eyes...or when you touch your mouth.....anyways, i definitely agree with you Hibo....there are a lot of people who see eating with your hands as a menial act....

Oh and for those that wanted to diss eating with others...when you go to restaurants you might as well be eating with the Chef, or the cook, or the waiter that picked up that piece of whatever thats falling off the side of your plate...or you might as well be eating with the person that ate off your plate last, or ate of your silverware last....(unless of course you work for the health department, and you know when your plates been washed thoroughly :rolleyes: )...cause everyone wants to leave a little something of themselves behind :D

If you really care about the germs on your hands...then wash your hands, take the towel to dry your hands, THEN use that towel to close the fountain,open the door, then get your clean a$$ to your table and eat your food.....

Originally posted by Mrembo:

If you really care about the germs on your hands...then wash your hands, take the towel to dry your hands, THEN use that towel to close the fountain,open the door, then get your clean a$$ to your table and eat your food.....

And why would I go through all that? Just to look somali and shove it on every1's face that indeed I'm cultured (very debatable - what constitutes as culture). When just as easily, I could use the fork,spoon and knife provided for me? . Besides, in the event you were weary of the cutlery not being hygienic enuf, wouldnt thats include the plate you were gonna eat in anyway & be germ-infested 2? .. :D

Macalin   

Athena:

And why would I go through all that? Just to look somali and shove it on every1's face that indeed I'm cultured (very debatable - what constitutes as culture).

No But, wasnt ur concern more on the line of not being hygiene?...she just gave one solution! :D

LOL@princess...Athena, tell Us hhow do u eat canjeero? or Pizza or Hamburger?

Unless You Lot wanna be compulsive!,theres nothing clean Passe`..evrything is germ infested to a degree!...so i suggest U eat whatever comes Ur Way!...

As for teh Farxal, if you ask for it U will be GIVEN, i askd for it once when the bathroom of this maqayad was filthy!

lol   

Health they say is a concern that drives them to using cutlery... hmmm interesting. I am sure if we dig and dig we are sure to find some flaws in both the use of cutlery and hands.

Athena: Ms.Hygenic, I am rather impressed with your theories not to mention ALMOST convincing. I am sorry sista but the restuarant in question is actually a classic indian... and I happen to love to eat with my hands. But that doesn't mean I place my whole hand in my mouth with the food rather there are infact appropriate ways to eat your food without being disgustfull. As for washing your hands, my mom thought me well. I wash my hands before any meal with or without the use of cutlery. I suggest u do the same since u r so concerned with cleanliness. As for the bacteria what are your antibodies doing? Sleeping I suppose?...We all know that anything hygiene began with Islam, and now we doubt what we have been told... SHAME SHAME on you! Hooyadeey waxey tiraahdaa, " Gabadhii hooyadeed dhalmada bartay" I hope u follow my drift.

^ Dearest, you may love to dive in with your hands, but thats your choice...and its certainly not the only option nor is it the cleanest. Leave my weak anti-bodies outta this, if yours can combat all kinds of germs , kudos to you...but dont advocate for the same as some of us may not be well equipped - especially under the pretence of 'culture'. I'm sure there are others like me who'd rather be safe than sorry.

Nomad.. I roll my canjeero, slice it and eat it with a fork...da same with pizza. As for burgers, I leave the wrapper on.

PS. Ms.Sloppy Eater ... I do wash ma hands frequently... and eat gracefully. :D

x_quizit   

Athena and Try Me...it boils down to personal choice...what one is more comfortable doing...and maybe its not always a sign that u are running away from ur culture...

Personally, I would eat pizza, canjero, burger, with my hands because it wouldn't taste half as good if i were to struggle with a knife and cut down every piece, not to mention the time it would take me....but as for rice or pasta...utensil it is...because i dont wanna get messy!...and i havent gotten the art of eating with ur hands and still looking cute down pat ;) ...maybe Try me can give me a lesson...

When i was visiting back home last summer, we went out for pizza with some friends who moved back home, and one of the guys was eating his pizza with a fork!...i remember me and my friends thinking..what is he doing? its just pizza!!!...i thought he wanted to look "posh/sophisticated" and that irritated me...and this is back home...so its just not a phenomenon that's new to those that live in the west...

Senora   

Originally posted by Athena:

Originally posted by Mrembo:

[qb]

And why would I go through all that? Just to
look
somali and shove it on every1's face that indeed I'm
cultured
(very debatable - what constitutes as culture). When just as easily, I could use the fork,spoon and knife provided for me? . Besides, in the event you were weary of the cutlery not being hygienic enuf, wouldnt thats include the plate you were gonna eat in anyway & be germ-infested 2? ..
:D

LOL, go thru all what!?,,,holding a napkin in your hand?.....you would have to close the fountain, and open the door anyway.....

And i mentioned the plate thing b4....

Dearest, you may love to dive in with your hands, but thats your choice...and its certainly not the only option nor is it the cleanest

:D:D

LOL@rolling an canjeero and eatin with a fork

Warmoog   

Try_Me, I like how you kept your cool throughout that ordeal. Very classy.

Sadkii, you might want to be careful about using both hands to eat. Our religion tells us that we’re supposed to use the right hand only.

OG G, if you don’t want to use your hands to eat, that’s fine by me. I believe this whole issue comes down to personal choice. I find it irritating, however, when those who choose not to eat with their hands look down upon others who’re showing pride in their culture. This is exactly what that guy was doing to Hibo in the restaurant and you’re basically expressing the same sentiments.

Athena, eating with one's hands was not being presented under the 'presence' of culture here. It is culture. Some cultures use cutlery and others use chopsticks, but most on this planet use their hands. That's reality, get used to it.

+ + + + +

There’s a difference between adaptation and assimilation, but I doubt most of us could agree on where to draw the line. People often put the lack-of-cultural-pride blame on individuals, but I think some of it should also be placed on the parents and communities. Most of the problems tend to be related to breakdowns in the latter two. Immigrants come to the West thinking they’ll be accepted for who they are when, in reality, from the moment they get off the boat society hammers them into looking, acting, and thinking like everyone else. Consequently, if people don’t maintain strong bases at home and build strong ties with ‘their own’, then they or their children (as is usually the case) get sucked into the vacuum of social and cultural assimilation.

Obviously, there are also people who suffer from inferiority complexes (that issue stretches far beyond to Somalis by the way), but there are others who follow a more Western code of behaviour because it's all they know. In other words, for some reason or other, they've become diluted by mainstream society and don't know the beauty of their own culture. I guess what I trying to say here is that some Somalis are ‘caught up’ in these foreign societies and others are simply stuck in them. There's a big difference between the two groups, but people tend to lump them together.

Yasmine, you've ventured into new grounds there. It maybe culture for you, but its one I'm willing to surpass along with many other cultural and traditional beliefs like FGM. Justifying something as cultural and expecting to pass it along as such without questioning the validity, importance and its place in an ever changing, ever growing and ever advancing society is backward. Necessity is the mother of invention . I'm sure in biblical days, they used their hands too..why? 'cause there were no cutlery - maybe wooden ones but I'm sure the average folk ate with their hands. With advancement, comes change. If its better, we embrace it, else NOT.

With that said, most somalis dont know how to eat with their hands properly anyways...esp guys, its like there's a bariis storm going on, some of it even hitting da walls :D

Lasty, whether you eat with your hands or not is a personal preference. Its less hygienic in public places + quite gross to look at.. However, in the confort of your own home, its probably feels better.

[Sadkii, you might want to be careful about using both hands to eat. Our religion tells us that we’re supposed to use the right hand only.

Bismillah ......

Yasmin: I concur with the latter part of your reminder, however; this shouldnt mean that one cannot use both hands while eating unless you only have one hand hence the famous somali adage: gacmo wada jir bay wax ku gooyaan.

On the issue of assimilation and adaptation, I guess the latter is preferable if one has to keep her norms and traditions undiluted by adapting that which is benefitial from the host community - education can be a simple example here.

Warmoog   

Athena, there's a clear distinction between culture and religion so I don't think you should equate people who eat with their hands and those who practice FGM. The latter has no basis in religion and is grounded primarily in dhaqan, while the former has religious merits. If you haven't heard, eating with one's hands is considered sunnah in our religion. It's not an obligation, but good deeds are awarded to people who choose to do so. The keyword here is "choose" because, like I've said before, I think this whole issue boils down to personal choice. I agree with you 100% when it comes to questioning the validity and significance of cultural practices, such as FGM, but the fact that eating with one's hands is rooted in and promoted by religious teachings is unquestionable.

You're right though, there are people who don't know how to eat with their hands properly... they make the task look unattractive, when it really doesn't have to be. I once read somewhere that the proper way to do it is to use 3 fingers (thumb, forefinger, and middle finger). For instance, when you're eating rice, you shape a small portion into a neat ball, pick it up with the 3 fingers, and place it in your mouth. Bariis storms should never take place.

I think your sense of personal hygiene is cute... leaning towards obsession, but cute nonetheless. The rolled up canjero being eaten with a fork was a very humourous thought.

Qac Qaac   

OG girl, i think u sercusticly said, u would ask your father to buy camel for u, instead of the cherokee, well sis, it looks like u r making fun of my theory but nevertheless, u could ask any sheikh u like, even your local imams, and they will tell you that it was from the sunnah of the prophet scw to eat with his hands, and by eating with your hand it doesn't mean we are setting your back words, you could eat with your spoon if u like, read al'shama'il by abu alaa al moudoodi. it was written from how the prophet behaved to how ate, slept, mannered with ppl. all in that book, and u see he ate with his hands...

so pls sis, next time that u make metaphor like that be careful, and no one is saying u can't eat with your spoon and forks.. is just it is more hasanah for u to eat with your hand.

OG_Girl   

Well, carefully from what? r u here threating moi? ooh la la , u really made me pee on my pant..Ooops I know u will say pant is Haram for woman , I meant on my skirt icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

Wallalo, u have an issue with every one doesn't agree ur weirdo sellective religion ideas!

for ur information, I am Islamic Law student in Share'a Islamia in Kuwait University and I am in my 3rd year .. not coz u deserve any explanation BUT to just minimize ur argument and my father is one of Islamic scholer in Kuwait .. no need to tell my grand dad is Shiekh who graduated From Alzhar.. so no need to go any Imam to ask any thing.

If u want Sunnah why u have to sellect eating with hand only? why u don't build TENT in the desert and buy some camels and some goats-If u can afford- and sit there ?

Man u need 101 lesson and learn how to agree to disagree OR THAT IS NOT FROM SUNNAH ..LOL icon_razz.gif

PS: I wasn't making fun of u , I was just expressing my opinion and sorry if that is threaten to ur intellectual ....I did not mean it.

Oh one more thing to add. Is that only book ur read? and what language was written? as I see ur Arabic doesn't help u to understand any word from it , so was in English? Oooh , ur English not that good either!!!.

did I mention prophet never insult women no need to mention is not MOSLIM manner to insult? read what u wrote for other sister insulting her and chessing her every where in SOL.is that following Sunnah too?

salam