Sign in to follow this  
STOIC

STOIC   

No, this ain't about a milestone post.Have you ever read a story or watched a movie in which a person or a group of people made a great sacrifice for their freedom or pride? Last night I went to the movies to watch the new movie that sent ripples across the Iranian presidential palace. I set paralyzed glued to the big screen premier of the new 300 movie. However, I might suspect that the movie was a bit hyperbole in its plot. Unless of course you want to tell me that, an army of three hundred ICU soldiers could defeat Ethiopian tankers. The movie is an adaptation of the battle of Thermopylae. King Leonidas and his 300 Spartans fought to death against slavery and tyranny of the invading Persians. Their death inspired the rest of Greece to unite. The Visual effect of the movie was so excellent. This is a movie for all the Red Blooded Men out there. These is movie with a great story of principle and sacrifice .It is an excellent movie to watch with your boys :D

Cara.   

Awlugeeye, the 300 did not defeat Xerxes, so I guess no one would predict that 300 ICU soldiers (not exactly Spartan discipline or conditioning either) could've taken on Ethiopia and won. Maybe the moral is that you can stand up to a tyrant, and inspire others to do likewise.

The movie is really good; visually stunning, and I'm not talking about all the fit half-naked men; the colors and cinematography is really striking. I wanted screen shots of nearly ever frame.

I'm not sure to what extent it's historically accurate though, and some parts fell a little flat, but I would recommend it to people sick of celebrity-driven blockbusters.

Taliban   

For those of you who are moviegoers, I wouldn't recommend this movie. It's not worth because it's all about hype and gore; no story, no plot, no quality. Check the reviews if you're not convinced.

STOIC   

Taliban, did you see the movie? Please do not tell me you did not like the movie because of its portrayal of the Persians as a barbaric.

Cara, yes the 300 Spartans did not defeat the Xerxes. What I was alluding to my analogy was the portrayal of the power of three hundred soldiers. My friends and I were a little skeptical of the accuracy of the story behind the movie. I see why you would want each unbroken sequence of the movie frame. I agree with you through trick photography they were able to transports us back to the Spartans era.

Taliban   

Originally posted by Awlugeeye:

Taliban, did you see the movie? Please do not tell me you did not like the movie because of its portrayal of the Persians as a barbaric.

No, I didn't see it. I don't go to cinemas, haven't been to one for more than a decade. I mostly watch documentaries and news reports. Hase yeeshee, I read some movie reviews at various sites.

The movie is based on a Comic book version of the historic incident that was first published in the late 1990s. It is fiction and you should watch the movie from that perspective.

Chimera   

Disrespectfull simple as that

Comics should be made up stuff like Spiderman or X-man not stealing a country's finest Empire and legacy and then start demonizing the same people

the freaky comic maker turned this man

xerxes.jpg

into a transvestite

For a Empire that freed slaves and had the first human rights code it's a great dishoner

no wonder....

300 Versus 70 Million Iranians

March 13, 2007

All of Tehran was outraged.

Iranians view the Achaemenid empire as a particularly noble page in their history and cannot understand why it has been singled out for such shoddy cinematic treatment, as the populace here perceives it, with the Persians in rags and its Great King practically naked. The Achaemenid kings, who built their majestic capital at Persepolis, were exceptionally munificent for their time. They wrote the world's earliest recorded human rights declaration, and were opposed to slavery. Cuneiform plates show that Persepolis was built by paid staff rather than slaves. And any Iranian child who has visited Persepolis can tell you that its preserved relief’s depict court dress of velvet robes, and that if anyone was wearing rags around 500 B.C., it wasn't the Persians.

It is going to take an act of foolhardy courage to distribute that film in Iran. It will truly be 70 million against 300.

Source: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1598886,00.html?cnn=yes

Kashafa   

Awlugeeye, the 300 did not defeat Xerxes, so I guess no one would predict that 300 ICU soldiers (not exactly Spartan discipline or conditioning either) could've taken on Ethiopia and won

Actually, the 300 Spartans did defeat the "shoot so many arrows, we will blot out the sun" Persian army, if you look at victory and defeat in the strategic long term sense.

The fierce resistance of the Spartan-led army offered Athens the invaluable time to prepare for a decisive naval battle that would come to determine the outcome of the war. The subsequent Greek victory at the Battle of Salamis left much of the Persian Empire's navy destroyed and Xerxes I was forced to retreat back to Asia, leaving his army in Greece under Mardonius, who was to meet the Greeks in battle one last time. The Spartans assembled at full strength and led a pan-Greek army that defeated the Persians decisively at the Battle of Plataea, ending the Greco-Persian War and with it Persian Empire expansion into Europe.

Point being, initial setback or even en masse slaughter does not always spell defeat. You're right, sometimes men have to die, in order to inspire others to take up the fight. If what you're fighting for is worthy; a stand, impossible or not, must be taken so that both history and your people will witness your sacrifice and be inspired to resist, to revolt, to bring your vision to reality. It's not even about inspiration, more like an obligation. Who are you to wilt under oppression when your peers gave up their lives ?

Also, Sparta vs Persia is a pretty good analogy of the recent ICU vs Tikrey-TFG battles.

- Just like the Greeks went on, after an initial setback, to defeat Xerxes and the traitorous lackeys that he bought off , I have no doubt that the Islamic-minded Somalis will eventually expel the Tikrey-TFG pro-western secular alliance. Notice the stark difference in thought and idealogy.

- The 300 were up against a superior war machine: manpower, elephants(modern day tanks), and most crucially: information(satellite imagery).

-Just like the Spartans, the ICU were betrayed by defectors from their own ranks, some senior commanders.

Fiction or not, and ignoring how the movie depicts Aryan white men slaughtering brown men by the thousands, there's alot to be learned from 300(the movie).

Umm, except this factoid so conviently skipped by the moviemakers, cuz, hamdulilah, Middle America still has some traditional* values left: The Spartans were flaming homosexuals

Barf. :eek:

*=Fitrah

Cara.   

Originally posted by Kashafa:

[QB] Actually, the 300 Spartans did defeat the "shoot so many arrows, we will blot out the sun" Persian army, if you look at victory and defeat in the strategic long term sense.[QB]

But defeat in the sense of the 300 themselves were wiped out by a vastly greater army. Their longterm strategic position was six feet under :D . Naturally, a greater Greek army did much better and where able to drive the Persians back later on. That's what I meant about the lesson learned smile.gif

Umm, except this factoid so conviently skipped by the moviemakers, cuz, hamdulilah, Middle America still has some traditional* values left:

Oddly enough, the movie deflects this well-known factoid early on, when a character describes the Athenians derisively as "boy-loving philosophers" or something to that effect.

It is a movie! a fiction might based the overall story on spartans but the rest is fiction so chillout take your girl/boy to the movies get some pop corn and enjoy the show ..!!!