Sign in to follow this  
Salgod

Culture and Religion

Salgod   

I am wondering what specifically makes a Somali different than other Muslims regarding their cultural background? What do you think are some similarities or differences between Somali culture and the Muslim religion?

I would say our culture, i mean we eat banana with everything, even the way we dress - i would say culture differentiates us from other muslims, but then again culture separates many muslims – ritualistically speaking, such as ceremonies, celebrations, diet, music – but when it comes down to religion we have a concrete belief, even that is questionable, the religion will split into 73 sects.

FatB   

animal farm saxiib ur feeling pesimistic 2day!

ps wats wrong with eating bAnAnAs with every thing; its our little thing like the yanks have cachep with everything

Haddad   

Originally posted by Salgod:

What do you think are some similarities or differences between Somali culture and the Muslim religion?

You can compare similarities or differences between cultures, between religions, not between a culture and religion.

Baluug   

Originally posted by Haddad:

You can compare
similarities or differences
between cultures, between religions, not between a culture and religion.

Sure you can,if part of the culture being compared is Xaraam,such as female circumcision

We do have a religion (of course ISLAM) that we don't normally follow but act as watchmen.

We don't have any culture at all ,,,, may be some clothings that we share some other sicieties ,,,, Our culture is to follow other cultures once we go into other societies

na mean ???? smile.gif

animal farm saxiib ur feeling pesimistic 2day!

the one and only i still got hope, but sometimes you have to expect the worse so that you don't get overwhelmed.