Sign in to follow this  
suban

how did you find paltalk?

suban   

Hey everyone. I've recently discovered a phenomena knows as paltalk. First, my sister started going on it, and she couldn't stay away from the computer screen. I dismissed her addiction as one born out of boredom. I tried it myself, but couldn't see what was soo exciting about it....

One day, during the summer, i try to see what was the attraction that had many somalians in it's grip. A purely scientific research i confinsed myself. Little did i know about luuq and koofi and all the endearing paltalk chit-chat. During my first visit i was generally ignored and found myself bored witless, due to not participating. I concluded that there was nothing fun about it after all and closed my acount down. But as you can guess, i tried it again. This second time i was accused of being too quiet. Was i a man with a girls name perhaps? And people were filling up in my private (luuq)and were writing somali..a language i can speak perfectly but can't write fluently. After several miserable attempts i became wiser. Firstly i learned how to close my luuq, make it exclusieve. Then i started to feel less awkward and contribute to the conversation by board. Then i got more friends and started to wear a big shiny koofi at times. As you can imagine i was queen of my castle, throwin people out if they offended me or for the simple reason of being too boring.i became e real "heer magaal". What started of as a trip down curiosity lane became a full blown obsession. I found myself being on paltalk for as long as i could. staying up all night and not wantin to sleep during the day. Eating became a hazard and if away from my computer, i suffered from withdrawl syndromes. i.e. lack of attention annoyance....Anyway, now i'm back to normal and am limiting my "intake" of paltalk to less and less hours. I'm glad to say that i have come back to normal, altough i still enjoy having a full room in paltalk.

Thanks to paltalk i have discovered that conversing in somali was fun, and i have learned how to write our language. A valuable lesson indeed. Also, i can now officially sing along when at somali parties thanx to fananiinta paltalk.

So tell me, how was your paltalk experience?

Coloow   

Salaama sister,

The digital technology has offered people everywhere the ability to communicate at any time. Most somalis are hooked up and are victims of the internet revolution. In most somali homes the KAMBIYUUTAR has become a tool to converse (infact JAAT (chat,) Baal tool (paltalk) and LOL have become part of our vernacular.

There is a downside though. Please check the article I wrote about internet addiction!

Think of paltalk as a virtual coffee shop with real time communication – but i can’t seem to understand what the phenomenon is about, pal talk its impersonal, the people are rude, obnoxious, and they’re always swearing in Somali, although that’s funny on occasions, but they can get real nasty. I say skype or the new Google Talk is much better. Its personal communication, and no one can show off.