Sign in to follow this  
STOIC

Tanzania to lift DDT ban

STOIC   

This is one of the toughest decisions I recommend for African countries to take.This decision of using DDT demands a logical and biological plausability.The approach of using this pesticide should be conducted with great care.The risk of any pesticides arises from the manner it is handled, transported and applied. The African countries should develop steps to insure the safety of the public when applying this chemical.There is risk everywhere we look.If you do not put safety first you will probably end up in hospital for falling off your stepping chair.I recommend that African countries should only allow certified pesticides applicators to use this chemical.If African countries ignore these risks then the chemical will do no good to the public; only a far-reaching consequences will be witnessed. The governments should respect the people, land, economic welfare, and stewardship for the land.They should be cautious that greed should not overrun the safety of the public.It is known or shall I say, It is fact that risks from pesticides exposure depend on the dosage of the chemical, time of exposure, and susceptibility of the individuals. Always good judgements gives birth to good science.

Tanzania to lift up DDT ban

STOIC   

Considering the fact that they will be the first African country to resist with boldness the international presure.I think they will hit a home run for this one.

PS I got the joke....... :D

ElPunto   

^But wait the article says: "However, Mwakyusa said other African countries, including South Africa, were now using the chemical again." So they're not the first. I wonder if howling environmentalists will appear on the scene. Bloody likely I think.

STOIC   

I know he mentioned that South African is using it too. I am personally not sure about that considering that it was only few months ago that European Union threatened to sanction any country that dare to use the DDT. One thing the European Union missed is that this chemical will not be used in Agricultural setting. They will mostly apply in residential quarters. Enormous quantities of pesticides are used around the world every year. Many pesticides do not reach the target if they are not applied correctly. Instead they are end up on crops and trees that were non-target. I personally think that if Africa applied the DDT safely soon malaria will be history. DDT is one of the most misunderstood villains of the pesticide world. It is the only chemical that is effective against malaria .The ultimate residues of this chemical is clearly misunderstood. Can you believe that American food safety analyst still find some small amount of DDT on the American food. It’s been more than thirty years since they have banned the use of it. More and more of American foods have some sort of detectable pesticides in it. It is unfair to make the zero tolerance of pesticides applied only to African countries. Any pesticide does come with unacceptable aspects, but that should not deter people from using them.

ElPunto   

Originally posted by STOIC:

I know he mentioned that South African is using it too. I am personally not sure about that considering that it was only few months ago that European Union threatened to sanction any country that dare to use the DDT. One thing the European Union missed is that this chemical will not be used in Agricultural setting. They will mostly apply in residential quarters. Enormous quantities of pesticides are used around the world every year. Many pesticides do not reach the target if they are not applied correctly. Instead they are end up on crops and trees that were non-target. I personally think that if Africa applied the DDT safely soon malaria will be history. DDT is one of the most misunderstood villains of the pesticide world. It is the only chemical that is effective against malaria .The ultimate residues of this chemical is clearly misunderstood. Can you believe that American food safety analyst still find some small amount of DDT on the American food. It’s been more than thirty years since they have banned the use of it. More and more of American foods have some sort of detectable pesticides in it. It is unfair to make the zero tolerance of pesticides applied only to African countries. Any pesticide does come with unacceptable aspects, but that should not deter people from using them.

But you see these Europeans don't care - they licked their malaria problem in the southern Mediterranean. Quite frankly - given the record of African countries on health matters and regulations - I'm not so sure they will apply it correctly so as to minimize the impact on human health. But for sure - there shouldn't be pressure or international actions simply because a country chooses to use DDT - especially when they are, ostensibly, using it for a vital national health matter

STOIC   

The Point,

This is the new world of politics of science. There are a number of global powers that sets trends of market. They can bully you anytime. There is usually big uncertainty attached to anything third world. Most of this super powers who get there cash crops from poor African nations wants to set unacceptable models for what and when to use their products/services. Few powerful countries control the world economic system. The extension of patents and intellectual properties set these standards too. This has profound effect on Agriculture sector. They can stop you from using their products if they want. This powerful countries are the ones that support programs that control the marketing and credit program of African agriculture. They can diversify or halt the upward mobility of the Agriculture system. Can you imagine if Kenya is banned from exporting coffee just because they used DDT on their residential quarters?

Naden   

Well said, Stoic! Malaria has taken a serious toll on the lives and economies of African countries thanks to hysterical environmentalists and these powerful corporations. Let's hope other African nations will be able to follow suit.

STOIC   

The economic War of pesticide is on in Africa.DDT is one of the most apolar compound to exist.It is a white to cream -colored amorphous waxy powder.The LD factor of this chemical is 250 mg/kg for a rat.Africans are not ****** enough to let the chemical kill the people.

Talks on using DDT in malaria drive planned

Story by JEFF OTIENO

Publication Date: 5/15/2006

A meeting to decide whether to re-introduce a banned pesticide used to control mosquitoes will be held before December.

Experts at the meeting will discuss the benefits and risks of using DDT, which was banned in 1988 because of its negative effects on the environment. Re-introducing the pesticide is expected to boost the war on malaria.

Hear all parties

"We will hear views from all parties including those who support and those who oppose the substance and come up with a position as a Government," said Health assistant minister Enock Kibunguchy. The meeting will be attended by health practitioners, environmentalists, economists and agriculturalists.

Dr Kibunguchy said he would support the re-introduction of DDT because "it is the best alternative Africa has to control malaria".

In an interview with the Nation, Dr Kibunguchy said the fight against malaria would not be won unless the ban on the chemical is lifted.

"We will only be paying lip service to the fight against malaria if we ignore the re-introduction of DDT," he said.

Calls to re-introduce the chemical have been growing louder due to an increase in deaths caused by malaria. Malaria is the leading killer of children, claiming 34,000 lives a year and accounting for 20 per cent of all hospital admissions.

Recently, Tanzania lifted a 2004 ban on the pesticide so it could be used to fight malaria. It joined South Africa, Mozambique and Uganda which use the pesticide despite being signatories to the Stockholm Convention which seeks to outlaw the use of dangerous industrial chemicals dubbed the "dirty dozen". Some of the chemicals have been blamed for causing deaths, cancer or birth defects.

Affect horticulture

However, the Kenya Flower Council said the re-introduction of the pesticide would adversely affect the horticultural sector, one of Kenya's major foreign exchange earners.

The council's chief executive officer, Ms Jane Ngige, said Kenyans should insist other alternatives. She said some international customers might boycott agricultural products from Kenya if DDT was re-introduced.

The World Health Organisation ranks DDT as a class 2 poison.

The pesticide, while covered by the convention, is exempted when used for disease control.

Sources