Sign in to follow this  
Pujah

Racism in Calgary

Miriam1   

I have never experienced anything as blantant as this. Canadians in the west are just strange, they need immigrants, which by default these days are people of colour for thier labour market and yet they can't handle the change.

The messed up thing, is the provincial government, there which is rabidly conservative and most recently got a consession from the Federal government to increase its qouta for how many immigrants they can admit. But what are they doing to ease change in the society, provide assistance to these people?

In Toronto its mostly hidden racism, you know your in a neighbourhood your not suppose to be in from the stares they give you like, you have a third eye on your forehead. Most recently I was visiting some a very unfortunate family who chose to live in a very Italian neighbourhood in Toronto (Woodbridge/Vaughn). I have never felt more stranger in the city, thier neighbours stood out staring at us with our hijabs (sans abaya). Going to the neighbourhood store with the kids, almost got into a fight with a 50yr old fat hairy italian lady who yelled at the kids for touching the candy?!

I appreciated my odd little neighbour after that day, with its healthy mix of Ghanians, Nepealiese(sp?), etc etc.