Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

8 Basic Errors Muslims make when Paying Zakat Al-Fitr‏

N.O.R.F   

From an email. Get down to your local xawaalad TODAY!

Error One: Paying at Eid SalahSome people go to Eid prayers and drop money into thedonation box thinking that they have paid their Zakatul-Fitr. No, Zakat al-Fitr, which is food, must be in thehands of the needy family BEFORE Eid prayer. If someonegoes to Eid prayer and pays then it is GUARANTEED that themoney will NOT arrive on time. And thus the person payingis sinful for having missed the payment of Zakat al-Fitr.May Allah forgive us. Error Two: Snail mailing the money overseasBasic principle as before: the Zakat al-Fitr, food, MUST bein the hands of the needy BEFORE Eid prayer. One cannot mailthe money overseas and have it arrive in the hands of theneedy after Eid prayer is over. However, if one is able to get the Zakah al-Fitr to theneedy overseas BEFORE Eid prayer is conducted in theirlocality, then in sha Allah it’s alright. Error Three: Not payingYes, as simple as this error is, it is HARAM to skip thepayment of Zakat Al-Fitr. EVERYONE must pay Zakat Al-Fitr,every member of the household. So if you have 8 people inyour house, Zakat Al-Fitr must be paid x 8, even if theyoungest member is just a few days old. Error Four: Confusing Zakat ul-Fitr with Zakat ul-MaalWe are talking about Zakat al-Fitr here (think “Iftar”,i.e. Ramadan). Zakat Al-Maal (Maal literally means wealth),is the Zakah due on ones money – and that could be dueany time during the year depending on when it was due. Error Five: Giving money instead of foodAlthough some scholars have allowed giving money instead offood, the spirit of Zakat Al-Fitr is to give food to theneedy of the community, NOT money. The Companion of the Prophet, Abu Sa`eed al-Khudree, radiAllahu 'anhu, said, "In the Prophet's time, we used to giveit (Zakatal-Fitr) as a sa` of food, dried dates, barley,raisins or dried cheese". [bukhari - Arabic/English vol. 2, p. 340, no. 582] Error Six: Giving one’s Zakah al-Fitr to a charitablebuilding projectSome people mistakenly give their Zakah Al-Fitr to acharitable building project: like the building of a Masjid,or Islamic school. There is a difference of opinion on thisissue, but suffice it to say that the spirit of ZakahAl-Fitr is that the needy should have plentiful food onEid. All eight types of recipients of Zakah mentioned inthe Quran are HUMANS, not “building projects”. Error Seven: Giving Zakat ul-Fitr to non-MuslimsCharity is given to both Non-Muslims and Muslims. However,Zakah al-Fitr charity is something exclusive to the MUSLIMpoor and needy. Hence, one could not give Zakah Al-Fitr toany needy person on the street. “Regular” charity canbe given to them, but not Zakah Al-Fitr. Error Eight: Delaying distributionSometimes Masjids might collect Zakah Al-Fitr money andthen put it in a bank. It doesn’t reach the needy formonths and months. The correct method is to give ZakahAl-Fitr immediately when it is due. These are my eight. You are welcome to share other commonerrors on my blog.
In sha Allah, if you have Zakah questions, I encourage youto seek counsel from your local sources of knowledge. People you can speak to directly. With best wishes to see you succeed at the highest level!- Muhammad Alshareef

Baluug   

This is interesting, I always thought Eid-al-fitr was supposed to be money, but it's actually meant to be food, and it should get to the needy before the Eid prayer? I guess it's too late for this year but I'll remember this for next year insha Allah. I guess I could bring food, but I ain;t got much in the house right now, unless they don't mind Kraft dinner :D

Eid mubarak everyone!!(that is, if it's tomorrow)

N.O.R.F   

^^Its not really possible to give food as you don't really see needy people around your xaafad. So sending money for the poor in to eat is the only option for most.