Sign in to follow this  
ElPunto

Booming Ethiopia??

Regarding this topic, I will present an exhibition A: Kacaankii between 69 to 80 or before that. Take your pick. I know I am going to get verbally stoned for this, but politics aside, the stuff they have done was almost unprecedented in theAfrican continent. An example, writing the Somali script and not onky write it but getting people to learn to read and write.

Point is, a socalledliberal democracy wouldn't achieve this in sub saharan Africa ir elsewhere in the developing world.

We need an irin fisted, visionary leadership for that to work. Not Authoritarianism for the sake of it.

ElPunto   

^Rather an optimistic claim on the gas. Do the federal states have revenue sharing or will any money all go to Addis? Iley can use this opportunity to do something for the Somali region if he has foresight.

Dhagaxtuur - a poor Ethiopian farmer who has seen no benefits from the government must also be told that he can't do/say anything. That might be too much but I see what your point is. It would be interesting to get fact based metrics on this boom. Literacy rate, life expectancy, infant mortality, access to clean water etc. That would really tell us if life has actually improved for the average citizen.

Federalism is an illusion, a cover for a very centralized Government. The money will go to the Central Government. Any projects or investments at the state level is at the behest of the Federal Government.

Ethiopians are cool people, but they aren't as entrepreneurial and savvy as Somalis. And this is due to Ethiopians living under strict government and dictatorship where self expression and taking initiative is frowned upon.