Sign in to follow this  
Safferz

Hassan Ali Mire speaks to Somali youth

Safferz   

This talk is about five years old, but I just came across it and it seems timely and relevant to share. He was the first Somali to receive a PhD from Princeton, in 1962.

Tallaabo   

How do you know he is the first Somali who received a PhD from Princeton? There could be others who settled in American long time ago, assimilated into the society, and not only obtained doctorates from Princeton but probably became professors at the institute.

Safferz   

Tallaabo;956880 wrote:
How do you know he is the first Somali who received a PhD from Princeton? There could be others who settled in American long time ago, assimilated into the society, and not only obtained doctorates from Princeton but probably became professors at the institute.

Well, he's the one who says it and I'm assuming he's aware of the institutional history. 1962 is very early, especially when you consider black students were not allowed to go to Princeton until the 1940s, and the first black PhDs there were in the 1950s. I'm sure Mire is also one of the first Somalis to receive a PhD (from anywhere).