Safferz

Nadifa Mohamed discussing her new novel

Safferz   

She was also named on Granta's Best of Young British Novelists list this month:

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Safferz   

SomaliPhilosopher;940974 wrote:
Have you read Guban?

I had the galleys before it was published :P Abdi is a good friend and a fantastic writer.

STOIC   

A promising young woman and a young writer at-her best years.A very engaging writer.Read her page turning debut novel black mamba boy.I have it as part of my bookshelves collection; tucked between heavy textbooks and continued education journals.I liked how she deftly conjured her dads story of a dashing adventuresome young Somali man from Hargeisa.She movingly conveyed the life changing journey of her dad.I hope the next book will also be insightful and superbly written with less Somali words.

PS Plus she is a sand-diver.Can beat that..haha....will be a must read for one of my young niece who is very much loves reading books....

Safferz   

SomaliPhilosopher;940980 wrote:
How was the book? Bought it a few weeks ago, but I need some enticement to get me started.

Well written and engaging, and deeply historical and political. I think you would like it a lot.

Safferz   

STOIC;940981 wrote:
A promising young woman and a young writer at-her best years.A very engaging writer.Read her page turning debut novel black mamba boy.I have it as part of my bookshelves collection; tucked between heavy textbooks and continued education journals.I liked how she deftly conjured her dads story of a dashing adventuresome young Somali man from Hargeisa.She movingly conveyed the life changing journey of her dad.I hope the next book will also be insightful and superbly written with less Somali words.

PS Plus she is a sand-diver.Can beat that..haha....will be a must read for one of my young niece who is very much loves reading books....

I didn't love Black Mamba Boy, but I was just happy to see a young Somali woman writing. I'm looking forward to reading her new novel, especially since it takes the perspective of Somali women and deals with more recent Somali history (the dictatorship and the collapse).

STOIC   

^The Somali words may have been confusing for non Somali.I thought it was a riveting story of her dad.I hope also this new book will be a good escape into history and one that tests the strength of fictionalized facts...

Safferz   

STOIC;940987 wrote:
^The Somali words may have been confusing for non Somali.I thought it was a riveting story of her dad.I hope also this new book will be a good escape into history and one that tests the strength of fictionalized facts...

lmao who said I'm not Somali?

I'd like to see more modern Somali literature written in the mother tongue. And more diaspora writers to denounce English and begin writing their stories in Somali like my man Ngugi wa thiong'o

Ngugi-wa-Thiongo-006.jpg

STOIC   

Safferz,

Calm down I didn't said you were not Somali..lol..let me reread my words.Must have clicked reply quick...haha

Safferz   

STOIC;940991 wrote:
Safferz,

Calm down I didn't said you were not Somali..lol..let me reread my words.Must have clicked reply quick...haha

It's just that you replied directly to my comment that I didn't love Black Mamba Boy with your own comment "the Somali words may have been confusing for non-Somali," so I'm sure you can see how it can be read that way.

SomaliPhilosopher;940990 wrote:
I'd like to see more modern Somali literature written in the mother tongue. And more diaspora writers to denounce English and begin writing their stories in Somali like my man Ngugi wa thiong'o

Ngugi-wa-Thiongo-006.jpg

That's an interesting thought. But I was in Hargeisa recently and I was surprised to learn the city doesn't have a single bookstore or a public library system (and the university libraries are not very good), so I'm not sure about how accessible and available Somali language novels will be to those back home. And then there's the question of literacy...

STOIC   

Saferz, there is no single library in the city of Hargeisa? that is shame for a city without intellectual life.Libraries are means of educating and refining communities.The government and volunteers are needed to advance the life of learning in that city.A sort of tax-supported initiatives are needed.Libraries are for the use and improvements of a society!

PS I see how it can be confusing.My bad.

Safferz   

STOIC;941004 wrote:
Saferz, there is no single library in the city of Hargeisa? that is shame for a city without intellectual life.Libraries are means of educating and refining communities.The government and volunteers are needed to advance the life of learning in that city.A sort of tax-supported initiatives are needed.Libraries are for the use and improvements of a society!

There are university libraries, but they rely on book donations from foreign countries, institutions and NGOs, and there's a fee for library membership that prevents most non-students from using their resources. They do have the Hargeisa Book Fair every July that's in its sixth year this year, and that seems to be quite popular but of course it's not enough. I met some MPs including the minister of education and the president when I was there and brought this issue up - along with the importance of establishing some sort of humanities/social science research centre at the University of Hargeisa - but I haven't followed up and I'm not sure it's a priority for them.