Sign in to follow this  
Dr_Osman

Who Is Galmudug New President? Caalin Says He Is

Dr_Osman   

Somalia: Galmudug presidential elections hit a wall

2 Aug 2, 2012 - 12:29:39 PM

GALKAYO, Somalia Aug 1 2012 (Garowe Online) – Elections for Galmudug President have hit a wall after President Mohamed Ahmed Alim failed to recognize President elect Col. Abdi Hassan Awale Qeybdiid, Garowe Online reports.

Galmudug President Alim who was in Nairobi while parliamentary elections followed by a presidential election transpired, objected to the “hasty elections” and stated that he is the Galmudug President.

President Alim, who spoke to Somaliareport, before the presidential elections, said that he disagreed with the parliamentary elections.

“I heard it, but I am not supporting them, and I don’t think it is the right thing to support,” said Galmudug President Alim.

Col. Abdi Hassan Awale Qeybdiid who was nominated in a landslide victory as the new Galmudug president by parliament, said at his inauguration on Wednesday that he would improve security in the region.

“I will pledge that Galmudug will have capable security forces that will bring security to the region and restore stability,” said President Col. Qeybdiid.

According to sources however, President Alim earlier this year wrote a letter to the international community which explained that Col. Qeybdiid in the past had contributed to instability in the region as a former warlord.

Col. Qeybdiid was arrested in 2005 for suspicion of genocide but was released due to lack of evidence.

He was also arrested by US Special in 1993 along with Osman Ali Atto for their part in the civil war in Mogadishu and held for months but was subsequently released.

Galmudug President Alim and signatories of the Roadmap are set to meet US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in Nairobi on Saturday, which will be an interesting meeting as the Galmudug presidency is being disputed.

GAROWE ONLINE