Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

Somaliland and the Qoraxeey man who lost his camels

Abtigiis   

This nomad descended on fellow clansmen playing shax in the middle of sunny Qabridahare some decades back. The man was obviously distressed. He shrieked “tolaa’yey” in a calculated but chaotic move to get the attention of his clansmen. After the men dusted off red clay from their buttocks and all asked what happened to him, he narrated his grief.

“I lost my camels. All of them. War geeli ha la ila baadi doono, oo male (guess) ha la igula doono. (loosely translated to: my tolka, let us look for my lost camels. Armed with guess work, for I do not know where it has gone to.)”

The funny part is the following. He gave four scenarios of how the camels were lost and where they may have headed to.

“Inuu geelu, halkaa iyo shaygoosh u kacay oo buur uu jilabka ka cuni jiray ku leexday, deedna waraabe ku dhex dhacay oo jidkii ka leexiyey (oona uma leyneyn) ha la igula doono!”

He added: “inuu xagaas ba uuna u kicin ee kolkuu ceelka ka cabay, oo bari afka saaray oo wardheer oo carro iyo milix lagu sii jiray u kacay (oona u maleyneyn) ha la igula doono. He added two more scenarios but on each case winding up his guess with “oona u maleyneyn”.

This bucolic story has a lot of similarity with Somaliland’s search for recognition. For two decades, Somaliland has been in search of an elusive recognition, a search which, like the camels of Qabridhare, was solidly based on guesswork. If I artictulate the scenarios for this situation, we have the following: War aqoonsi ha nala la doono oo male (guess ) ha nalagula doono:

(1) in halkaa iyo carabta uu jiro aqoonsigii oo Kuwait iyo Masar intay Arab League ka saxeexaan ay UN ta u gudbinayaan (oonaan umaleyneyn) ha na lagula doono.

(2) Maye, in halkaa iyo Britain iyo EU oo taariikhdii British Somaliland haya uu jiro oo arintii 60 kii qaldantay dib loo saxo (oonaan umaleyneyn) hana lagula doono.

(3) in dhinacaa Ethiopia uu jiro aqoonsigii oo Ethiopia oo garab siyaasadeed gayiga soomaliyeed ka rabta ay IGAD arinka sii mariso oo AU loo gudbiyo (oonaan umaleyneyn) hana lagula raadiyo.

(4) in Halkaa iyo Peter Pham iyo Peter Tachel iyo Matt Bryden aqoonsiguu ku habaabay oo nimankaasi ay UN monitoring group iyo Africa-US advocacy group intay soo dhax mariyaan Security Council’ka ay keenaan (oonaan umaleyneyn) hana lagu la raadiyo.

(5) in dadka soomaliyeed ee Konfur wadahal lala galo oo TFG saxeexdo aqoonsiga Somaliland (oonaan umaleyneyn) ha nalgu la raadiyo.

Despite the old camel-man’s confusion, the story ends that he recovered some of his camels. Could Somaliland be as lucky? Mise waa laf baan toobin ku hayaa?

Carafaat   

Abtigiis, Politics should always be based on diffrent scerario's. However, those scerario's you have listed are B,C,D,E and I think the first possible outcome will be an unexpected but completely diffrent outcome. :D

NGONGE   

Good story that fits the situation. Until the recognition comes, it's all (honestly) guesswork. But WORK it is. ;)