Sign in to follow this  
Somalia

US: Attempts to obstruct progress [...] will not be tolerated.

Somalia   

Deputy Spokesperson, Office of the Spokesperson

Less than four months remain for Somali leaders to complete the steps they agreed to in the Roadmap to End the Transition, which lays out the steps for replacing Somalia’s transitional government with a more representative governance structure that will bring Somalia closer to the security and political stability for which Somalis have waited for too long. The United States is encouraged by the progress made so far, however, several steps remain to be completed: selection of delegates to a constituent assembly; approval of a new constitution, selection of a new and smaller parliament, and the indirect election of a new speaker and president.

Secretary Clinton made clear the position of the United States during her remarks at the London Conference on Somalia in February when she stated, “Attempts to obstruct progress and maintain the broken status quo will not be tolerated. We will encourage the international community to impose further sanctions, including travel bans and asset freezes, on people inside and outside [somalia’s] Transitional Federal Government who seek to undermine Somalia’s peace and security or to delay or even prevent the political transition.”

The United States supports the open letter issued on May 1 by the special representatives of the United Nations, African Union, and Intergovernmental Authority on Development that puts on notice all individuals and entities who seek to undermine Somalia’s political transition that the international community will not tolerate such action. The United States is following the lead of its African partners and working to help Somalia’s Transitional Federal Government and other Somali leaders seize the current opportunity to make progress toward greater security and political stability.

http://ceelgows.com/2012/05/less-than-four-months-remain-for-somali-leaders-to-complete-the-steps-they-agreed-to-in-the-roadmap-to-end-the-transition-which-lays-out-the-steps-for-replacing-somalias-transitional/

omar12   

You seem like a half-way decent guy so I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say you don't actually believe this nonsense. I have my share of silly posts aswell as any examination of my previos posts will show…anyway….Although they play a role the problem is not the US, China, AU, EU, Russia, the International community or even Al Shabab for that matter. The issue is the environment and attitudes that are conducive to cyclical war and tribal conflict. What is stopping the peace process is not the boogie men under the bed that we can't see. It is what’s been right in front of our eyes but we're too afraid to admit. Individuals out of self-interests that seek violence instead of a future, an under-resourced ill-equipped incompetent government filled with corrupt and short-minded men that can't fart and chew gum let alone run a country. And us, the diaspora from Seattle to Sydney and everywhere in between. Aslong as people continue the same old battles of yesterday and blame others for OUR own mishaps nothing will change. The 1960’s are gone, and for those who want him back your general is no more. I urge all those who need it, look for the answer to change in yourself and make a fair contribution as I know some many already have and don’t give into the old games…A wise man said of Nigeria something that can relate to Somalia, “the people of this country need to come out in their masses and put someone into power that will raise this territory to something the world has never seem before, because Africa was meant to be great, and we can’t hide it anymore.”

Somalia   

You both make me sick. :D

This is about a bunch of individuals that are against a document which hasn't been reviewed, it hasn't been amended nor has it even been written. It's nothing more nothing less. People who claim to have something against it religiously speaking shouldn't jump the boat without even knowing it.

Being against the document is self interest because it doesn't benefit one group more than the other if every region makes a state but if they don't then they will be left out in the cold again during the next meetings. Even the international community is trying to stabilise Somalia now, it may be out of self interest but at least they are.