Sign in to follow this  
Archdemos

Male Pattern Baldness

ugaas1   

I am also slowly losing my hair my friend. Its tough but he as the others said basically dont count what you lost but what you still have.

Some advise would be to keep your hair short and grow out your beard. Keeping the hair short makes the receding hairline less noticeable. Grow the beard beocouse its the prophets sunnah. It also makes your face even out. It will bring less attention to your head and more on your face. The beard is your lions mane;)

Chimera;801253 wrote:
Carafaat, a shortage of all kinds of vitamins sxb, take a multi-vitamin each day. You should keep your hair moist with natural oil, and use non-sulphate shampoos to wash it out. Eat plenty of vegies and protein rich dishes, and excercise frequently!

Alpha, I rejected the machoistic male tradition of neglecting of one's own hair a long time ago. To maintain healthy thick hair into your 30s and 40s we need to be more like our sisters and get busy with the oils, it's doing wonders for mine since I sure as hell won't look like no damn Vin Diesel if I were to become bald in the next 10 years, more like a bald thriller era jackson, xuux.

Damn the thought alone gives me goose-prickles. Imagine a lion losing all of its manes, would you tell him its okay and he should embrace it? LMAO I just pictured a bald male lion strolling around the serengeti trying to heat up lionesses, they would laugh in his face. My hair is what always set me apart in class from my West African brethren, while my exotic curls danced in the wind during outdoor PE like the palm-trees of the motherland, theirs was as static as the Empire State building, while my white classmates' hair was flat and dry as a pancake mine was thick and lush. My hair is what distinguishes from princely status to pauper status, I'm majestic damn it lol.

I'm blunt here because I don't think Archdemos should in this day and age, with all the treatments and technology available, accept going bald.

Arch, walaal "
Your worth it"
lol

Cheers buddy. Good info on DHT and what may be happening. I have been under immense stress lately and have abandoned my fitness regime and the like. Will get back on the wagon with regards to a healthy balanced diet and active lifestyle. I've never been one for putting stuff in my hair but will gladly give oils a go in this respect.

Chimera   

^Like I said Archdemos ''in this day and age, you shouldn't accept going bald!''

Science agrees with me:

Clue to male baldness discovered

By Helen Briggs Health editor, BBC News website

A biological clue to male baldness has been discovered, raising the prospect of a treatment to stop or even reverse thinning hair.

In studies of bald men and laboratory mice, US scientists pinpointed a protein that triggers hair loss.

Drugs that target the pathway are already in development, they report in the journal Science Translational Medicine.

The research could lead to a cream to treat baldness.

Most men start to go bald in middle age, with about 80% of men having some hair loss by the age of 70.

The male sex hormone testosterone plays a key role, as do genetic factors. They cause the hair follicles to shrink, eventually becoming so small that they are invisible, leading to the appearance of baldness.

Reverse balding?

Now, researchers at the University of Pennsylvania have analysed which genes are switched on when men start to go bald.

They found levels of a key protein called prostaglandin D synthase are elevated in the cells of hair follicles located in bald patches on the scalp, but not in hairy areas.

Mice bred to have high levels of the protein went completely bald, while transplanted human hairs stopped growing when given the protein.

Prof George Cotsarelis, of the department of dermatology, who led the research, said: "Essentially we showed that prostaglandin protein was elevated in the bald scalp of men and that it inhibited hair growth. So we identified a target for treating male-pattern baldness.

"The next step would be to screen for compounds that affect this receptor and to also find out whether blocking that receptor would reverse balding or just prevent balding - a question that would take a while to figure out."

The inhibition of hair growth is triggered when the protein binds to a receptor on the cells of hair follicles, said Prof Cotsarelis.

Several known drugs that target this pathway have already been identified, he added, including some that are in clinical trials.

The researchers say there is potential for developing a treatment that can be applied to the scalp to prevent baldness and possibly help hair regrow.

-

Carafaat   

Chimera;801253 wrote:
Carafaat, a shortage of all kinds of vitamins sxb, take a multi-vitamin each day. You should keep your hair moist with natural oil, and use non-sulphate shampoos to wash it out. Eat plenty of vegies and protein rich dishes, and excercise frequently!

Good advice. I have discovered conditioner since few weeks. My hair was to dry and then someone told me use conditioner and I had no clue what this was. Apparently you cant use only shampoo or your hair will dry out. Did you know that?

Chimera   

Most shampoos contain sulphate which is an acid. I never use that, instead I apply natural oil based shampoos like olive oil or coconut oil type of shampoos, your hair is automatically conditioned and doesn't dry out.

JdKQXaYJ6DNRkml6ulp8SSvgCygu3k7G78TaSzAO

What's your hair-type; curly, wavy, straight or kinky?

Carafaat   

I have seen that bottle in some stores, will look for it. thanks

I dont know how to call my hair. but more wavy, used to be curly in my early twenties. :(