Sign in to follow this  
OdaySomali

AUN the victims of Garissa Wagalla Massacres

It is that month of the year when thousands upon thousands, nearly 10,000, Somalis were massacred in Kenya.

AUN the Victims of Wagalla & Garissa Massacre. Samir iyo Imaan to their relatives who still have not received justice.

The Garissa Massacre was a 1980 massacre of ethnic Somali residents by the Kenyan government in the Garissa District of the North Eastern Province, Kenya. The incident occurred when government forces set fire to a residential estate called Bulla Kartasi, killing people and raping women. They then forcefully interned the populace in a primary school for three days without food or water, resulting in over 3000 deaths.[

The Wagalla massacre took place on February 10, 1984 at the Wagalla Airstrip. The Wagalla massacre was a massacre of ethnic Somalis by Kenyan security forces. About 5,000 Somali men were then taken to an airstrip and prevented from accessing water and food for five days before being executed by Kenyan soldiers.[

It is unfortunate that even today, 28 years later, the population of NFD is still being oppressed, persecuted and disciminated in their own lands. Somalis are routinely arrested for no reason, denied ID cards or a passport. Very recently hunderds of Somalis are being arrested and beatin, imprisoned, tortured. Women are raped both in Dadaab and NFD by Kenyan army/police without any repercussions. More regularly Kenyan police arrest young Somali men, with the standard procedure being that they have to pay a bribe in return for their freedom.

Very sad.

BBC News

Survivors have told the Truth Justice and Reconciliation Commission how they were forced to strip naked and to lie on the ground.

They were held for five days without food and water.

Clothes doused in petrol were put on them and some were burnt to death.

Those who tried to escape were shot.

The dead bodies were not buried but were dumped in the nearby bushes where they were eaten by hyenas.

Justice?

A group of women, some of them widows, cried as they returned to give evidence in the area where they were tortured and their loved ones killed.

Sahara Kanaan is still haunted by what she witnessed.

"It is the government that murdered our people.
I lost my father, my three brothers and my uncle on this same ground,"
she said.

"
The government should bring justice for the murder of our people
."