Sign in to follow this  
Hibo

How to deal with people of a different faith?

Hibo   

Salaams All.

For one of my elective classes, I decided to take this class that deals with death. It sort of pertains to my field of study.

Anyways, the teacher raised an interesting question yesterday. The question was how would you deal with a person of a different faith( be it christian,jew, sikh, whatever) if you were consoling them in their last moments of life?? Say they wanted to pray and they asked you to stay with them...is it permissable in Islam to do so?

Oblivion   

Why wouldn't you stay with them....a human is a human being, you can't judge him/her!

As a Muslimah you cant involve yourself in pagan funeral ritual though...which contradict your values.

In general when dealing with infedils you should remember "The disbelievers" Allah subhanahu wata'ala has said in the Holy Quran:

[109:1] Say, "O you disbelievers.

[109:2] "I do not worship what you worship.

[109:3] "Nor do you worship what I worship.

[109:4] "Nor will I ever worship what you worship.

[109:5] "Nor will you ever worship what I worship.

[109:6] "To you is your religion, and to me is my religion."

At the same time remember the universal brotherhood of mankind that we're all the children of ADAM(ra):

"O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise each other). Verily the most honored of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things). " ( Hujurat verse 13)

Nur   

The prophet SAWS not only consoled a dying Jewsih boy in his deathbed, but if my memory does not fail cried for losing a soul that did not return to Allah as prescribed. We need to show sympathy and compassion as He (SAWS) did.

Nur

Khayr   

Salams,

Nur by extension then your response raises the question:

Is attending the janazza/funeral of a non-muslim something halal or haram in Islam?

And in the example you gave of the jewish boy, was the boy of puberty age which would make him a 'man' and 'responsible' in the eyes of the Shariah or was he a "boy" in all definition.

Fi Amanillah

Nur   

Kheyr brother.

Attending the Janaza of a non Muslim is forbidden , while Sympathy and visiting of the dying and calling them to accept Islam before they die, is highly commendable, which is what the Prophet SAWS did.

Khayr   

Originally posted by Nur:

Kheyr brother.

Attending the Janaza of a non Muslim is forbidden , while Sympathy and visiting of the dying and calling them to accept Islam before they die, is highly commendable, which is what the Prophet SAWS did.

I agree and that is within the spirit of Islam and the kareemah of the rasul (caliyhe aslam).