Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Djibouti: 21st ICJ meeting on Somalia, PM Abdiweli's Statement President Faroole's.....Ground brea

............................................................................................................................................................................................................................H.E. Dr. Abdiweli Mohamed Ali, Prime Minister of Somalia’s Statement at the 21st International Contact Group Meeting on Somalia

Djibouti, 5-6 February, 2012

Excellencies, distinguished participants, ladies and gentlemen.

Good morning.

I would like to thank UNPOS for convening this important gathering. I would also like to extend my special thanks to Djibouti for hosting this gathering. We are not only neighbors, but also brothers and sisters. Djibouti has been home to many Somalis seeking refuge these past 20 years. Djibouti has constantly supported our political processes and most recently, has sent us its sons and daughters to join the AMISOM mission. Inshallah, one day, we will be able to repay the generosity and solidarity of the people of Djibouti.

We stand at a crossroads today. The international community is trying to decide whether Somalis can be trusted to complete the Roadmap process and bring the political transition to an end, or whether new political arrangements need to be made. Somalis are asking what the future holds and whether their leaders will deliver on the promises of the Transitional Federal Charter, the Djibouti agreement, the Kampala accord, the Roadmap, and most recently the Garowe Principles. They are also weary of the state of permanent transition of the past 20 years.

My government is committed, in words and actions, to the Roadmap and to fulfilling the tasks that will allow us to move into a new era of security, stability, political inclusivity, and financial integrity. We have made significant progress in many areas. We have even gone further than expected in others – for example, security. No one could have imagined in the summer of 2011 that by the beginning of 2012, Mogadishu, Beledweyn, and Dhobley among others would be in the hands of the TFG, and Al-Shabaab would be on the run.

Today, I want to talk about three concepts that I believe are fundamentally important to the future of Somalia and that should guide us as we move forward, in this conference and in the next few months.

The first concept is legitimacy. The ultimate source of legitimacy for our government and for future Somali governments is the trust and confidence of the Somali people. Legitimacy does not come from terrorizing the public into submission nor from paying bribes to silence the most vocal critics. Legitimacy does not come from outside the country.

Genuine legitimacy can only be achieved through inclusive reconciliation, the provision of security, stability, justice and the provision of livelihood opportunities. In 6 months, my government has sought legitimacy and public support by delivering humanitarian assistance, by improvements in the health sector, and by restoring the roads, with the assistance of many partners but especially Turkey. In the interest of building rapport with the public, we also engage directly through regular town hall meetings and other forums.

We believe government should come from the people. We need to reestablish that link between our parliament and our public – that is why we must reform our parliament. And we have to be creative to overcome the challenges posed by our low capacity and meager resources to find a way to constitute a legitimate parliament.

In line with the Garowe Principles, we plan to come up with selection procedures that can produce competent, lean and more legitimate parliament. We will involve in the selection process, traditional leaders with moral authority in the community, regional administrations, civil society members, religious leaders and womens groups, together with non-voting members of the International Community who will act as neutral observers to ensure transparency and fairness in the results.

The second concept is accountability. Being truly accountable to Somali citizens requires putting in place effective foundations for the future of Somalia and a change in the status quo. Accountability has been missing in the Somali public sector since before the collapse. The last 20 years have seen some people benefit from the suffering of their fellow Somalis. We have seen the funds intended for humanitarian relief and for development disappear. The Somali people deserve better.

Let me acknowledge that, in the past, we Somalis made mistakes, which eroded the trust the international community has in our institutions. Somalia can and must do better.

My government has been a champion of the transparent management of Somalia's public assets and finances. Through the Roadmap mandate, we committed to build several integrity institutions. Towards these goals, we have overseen the streamlining of the revenue collection system and have prepared our 2012 budget that was approved by the Council of Ministers in December 2011. We have revived Somalia’s Bureau of Investigation and we plan to turn it into a robust anti-corruption institution. We have also aggressively pursued individuals engaged in diversion of food aid, including prosecuting two district commissioners.

My government has initiated the proposed Joint Financial Management Board that will ensure the channeling of both public financial management and international aid efficiently and effectively towards social and economic dividends to Somali citizens.

Accountability includes keeping promises, such as the promise of the transitional federal authorities to constructively honor the ending of transition process. Anyone who willfully obstructs the process must be held accountable for his or her actions as the Somali people look on us to move forward and deliver on our promises.

The third concept is commitment, or perhaps I should call this one persistence. Let us finish what we start. Somalia is a story of good intentions not seen through. The world launched Operation Restore Hope in 1992 to do something about the terrible famine and the criminals who steal food from starving children, and yet, here we are in 2012 and we have seen a worse famine and still, criminals are stealing the relief food. The recent UN assessment that the famine has officially ended is a relief to us, but we must continue our commitment to resettling famine-related IDPs and refugees.

Similarly, we have seen that containment is not a successful policy. We must address the underlying conditions that are causing our problems, and we must start with the young people because they are the most vulnerable to being recruited by warlords, by pirates, by religious extremists and by whichever group appears next should we fail to act today. We must offer these young people an alternative narrative and an economic livelihood.

Commitment means seeing the process through to the end. It means making good on the funding pledges so that the work can be done. My experience these past 6 months is an example – when I took office, there was tremendous international community support for the Roadmap and lots of promises of resources to help us complete the very ambitious list of benchmarks. With only 6 months left to go, we are still waiting to receive these funds.

As towns and districts are liberated from the tyranny of Al-Shabaab, we have the greatest opportunity in recent Somali history to create sustainable peace, and yet we are facing a major resource constraint. But we are committed because we cannot risk a vacuum that might lead to the return of Al-Shabaab or warlords. We must take strong steps to consolidate security, reconcile different factions and create local administrations in the newly liberated areas – we will share our strategy with you later today.

Somali leaders from the TFG, Puntland, Galmudug and Ahlu-Sunna Wal Jamaia (ASWJ) have shown great commitment by coming together to launch the Roadmap and again to agree on the Garowe Principles. Since September 2011, Somalis have continued to honor those commitments by pushing forward with implementation. We will return to Garowe soon to continue the constitution making process.

Commitment, accountability and legitimacy – I urge you all to keep these in mind as we move forward.

Let me say a few words about the London Conference. We welcome this conference as a timely process that complements the Roadmap and the Garowe Principles. The London conference shall not open a parallel process.

Somali people expect this conference to inject new energy into the tasks ahead of us, including the completion of the constitutional process and the creation of a new parliament. We are hopeful that this conference will focus the world’s attention on the importance of consolidating the security gains and on reviving and strengthening the Somali security sector. We believe it will underscore the importance of seeking solutions to the piracy problem on land.

I recently had the privilege of meeting UK Foreign Secretary William Hague and he personally assured me that the London conference will not be a one-day event that will be forgotten – there will be significant follow-up and we welcome this.

As I said before, we are at a crossroads now. We fully understand that there may be skepticism or concern on the part of the international community about our ability to complete the Roadmap.

Let me assure you again my government is 100% committed to ending the transition so we can have stability, transparency and good governance in the new post-transitional Somalia. I urge you all to keep up the pressure and the good work, let us not lean back now.

Today I call on all our partners (IGAD, African Union, League of Arab States, OIC, EU, US, UN) to demonstrate a unity of purpose on the road ahead.

On behalf of the Somali people, I thank you all for your presence here today.

Commitment, accountability and legitimacy – I urge you all to keep these in mind as we move forward.

Let me say a few words about the London Conference. We welcome this conference as a timely process that complements the Roadmap and the Garowe Principles. The London conference shall not open a parallel process.

Somali people expect this conference to inject new energy into the tasks ahead of us, including the completion of the constitutional process and the creation of a new parliament. We are hopeful that this conference will focus the world’s attention on the importance of consolidating the security gains and on reviving and strengthening the Somali security sector. We believe it will underscore the importance of seeking solutions to the piracy problem on land.

21st Meeting of the International Contact Group on Somalia

Djibouti City, Djibouti

5-6 February 2012.

Mr. Chairman, Excellencies, Honorable Delegates, Ladies and Gentlemen:

I am pleased to address this 21st Meeting of the International Contact Group (ICG) on Somalia. Our people and country has been in turmoil two decades and it is encouraging to see growing international attention towards Somalia. I am very hopeful that this renewed attention and engagement will bear positive results in advancing peace, security, stability, development, and democracy for the people of Somalia, the region and the wider international community.

Today, I would like to briefly touch on three key issues: 1) security and stabilization efforts; 2) political developments; and 3) humanitarian issues.

Security and stabilization.

Security remains precarious in Somalia as a whole, and more particularly in Mogadishu and the south-central regions. We welcome the international community’s efforts to increase the AMISOM peacekeeping force deployment in Somalia. We remind the

international community that Al Shabaab terrorists continue to hold control over strategic areas in Somalia – particularly the port towns of Kismayo and Merka, in Lower Jubba and Lower Shabelle regions, respectively. These ports, and nearby airports at Baidoa and Bali-dogle towns, serve as Al Shabaab’s cash flow and must be liberated in a coordinated effort between AMISOM, neighboring countries and Somali forces intent on stabilizing home regions.

We commend AMISOM troop-contributing countries’ commitment to serve in Somalia peacekeeping operation. However, we are concerned about the progress made since Al Shabaab’s declared retreat from Mogadishu 6 August 2011. We believe there should be more rapid movement towards regional towns under the control of Al Shabaab, with particular emphasis on towns with airport and port facilities, in order to cut-off the terrorists’ supply of funds, arms and fighters. Furthermore, while we welcome the Kenyan army’s intervention in Lower Jubba and Gedo regions in partnership with local

forces, we encourage more rapid progress towards liberating the key port town of Kismayo and we warn against availing time for terrorists to regroup and have a morale boost to launch attacks across Somalia, the region and around the world. Furthermore, we caution the Kenyan army to avoid collateral damage during military operations.

Carafaat   

General Duke;785578 wrote:

Garowe and Road plan is for Somali yar goverment. Londen is for Somaliweyn. Its a two track road. wax fahan.