Sign in to follow this  
Archdemos

Alternative guide to best scenes in cinema

I love films, and I’m currently reading a book on script writing by Syd Field, nothing serious and mainly as a hobby. Nevertheless people post your favourite scenes from cinema history. Post anything with substance, films that have been overlooked for gongs, low budget or generally forgotten timeless classics. I’ll kick things off with some of mine.

The opening 10 minutes of Drive was out of this world visually. Never before have i been so invested in a film. Ryan Gosling in by far the best film of 2011. Incredibly difficult to articulate just how good this film is. PlayStation generation will definitely appreciate this one, with subtle references made to Driver and GTA series throughout. This b movie with a noir heart will win you over guaranteed! Faith in modern cinema fully restored. Ryan Gosling is single handedly bringing back the cult of the antihero, If you haven't already seen it, get it!

Filmed over 7 weeks. Already a cult masterpiece, the most atmospheric film of 2011.

The Verdict 1982

One of the finest performances in cinema history, Ben Kingsley won the Oscar that year for playing Gandhi and Paul Newman missed out. A very powerful speech at the tail end of a film portrays some of the universal truths through Newman's flawed character, one of the most unpretentious, subtle summations ever.

BOB   

Yeah Drive was a good movie even though the level of brutality caught me completely off guard as you wouldn’t expect Ryan Gosling to portray such a cold blooded killer especially after watching him in Note Book. (Somebody dear to me from SOL has sent me the DVD and the book of that film…sweet)

I also enjoyed watching War Horse, I thought it was another typical Spielberg masterpiece and very touching. My favourite scene was when ‘Joey’ hears Albert’s whistle after the head doctor suggested he should be put down as he wouldn’t recover from his wounds and the other favourite scene of mine was when the whole army decided to organize a fund raising for Albert so he could buy back Joey and the final scene with the old French man was nice as well.

Peace, Love & Unity.

Escape from New York 1981

One of my favourites all time, really really fun film.

The original post apocalyptic anti hero film, No one does it better than John Carpenter. You cant go wrong with the likes of Lee Van Cleef, Donald Pleasence and Isaac Hayes. Thoroughly enjoyable and eerie film.

Manhattan has become a giant prison and the Air Force One has crash landed onto the island, Snake Plissken has been press ganged into saving the president etc... This is the scene where we are introduced to The Duke.

BOB, War horse's cinematography was top notch. Yes that scene was memorable and quite emotional. But its what I've come to expect from Spielberg, pretty safe.

a rather poor attempt at being a 'film critic'. you're not mark kermode so please delete this thread before your wacky and poor taste in 'cinema' gets out of hand.

The Warriors 1979

Another wacky badas.s super fun film. Why aren't gangs this uber cool anymore.

the-warriors-2.jpg

Another stellar opening montage, this is what filmaking should be about + ace soundtrack.

BOB   

Alpha Blondy;783928 wrote:
a rather poor attempt at being a 'film critic'. you're not mark kermode so please delete this thread before your wacky and poor taste in 'cinema' gets out of hand.

I don’t normally like putting my brothers and sisters down but if his is a rather poor attempt in being a film critic, I wonder what is yours? I thought living in Hargeisa would teach you to be modest, humble and respectful but it looks like you’ve gone completely the opposite as you come across nothing short of a cheap man’s drama queen who throws her barbies out of the pram at every opportunity, get a grip and have respect for other people.

Peace, Love & Unity.

Across 110th Street 1972

Another cracker made in the blaxploitation era starring Anthony Quinn and Yaphet Kotto. Cracking film, although a wee bit extreme on the violence. It has one of the most captivating and heart wrenching scenes I have ever seen, simply incredible. Also the soundtrack by Bobby Womack is also excellent, used much later by Tarantino in the film Jackie Brown.

across_one_hundred_tenth_street.jpg

Come on Alpha join in i a positive way. I know you have your own considerations. Add to the mix and mitigate my poor taste with some of yours:-p