Sign in to follow this  
Taqwa

Women

Taqwa   

Salamu Alaikum,

This is my answer to a question by a sister in the forums.

The Question is how far should women be involved in the political situation of a muslim country? Now when I say a muslim country, we are assuming a nation that follows the Sunnah of the Rasul (pbuh) and the Quran.

Islamic history is filled with women who undertook various forms of political activism. Unfortunately, however, much of this history has been ignored. The first martyr in Islam was a woman, Sumaya zawgat Yasir. Sumaya was tortured and killed in the early period of Islam because of her belief.

Women also fought in battles to defend Islam. Umm Imara defended the Prophet during the Battle of Uhud after the Muslims were defeated. Another famous female warrior was Nasiba bint Kaab who fought with the Prophet in the Battle of Uhud and later on with Caliph Abu Bakr in the Ridda war . She was known as such a brave and dedicated muslim that Abu Bakr himself attended her reception upon her return to Medina.

We know men's superiority over women in regards to intelligence, piety, or any other things is non-sene. But when it comes down to leadership, bread winner, and who should be the respresentive of the home, its clear its the husband.

Now comes the proof from the Quran that shows my statements regarding the degree women show be involved in politics.

Abu Bakra said when the Prophet was informed that the people of Persia (Iran) had crowned the daughter of Kisra as their ruler, he said, "No people will ever succeed if they hand their affairs to a woman.’" Sahih al-Bukhari, trans. by M.M. Khan, Kazi Publications, 1983, vol. 5, p. 508. (hadith is weak)

Wallahi, a pious women is a million times better then a man with a beard, who has little value's. Women are allowed to be involved in Islamic government or politics but there are certain degree's they are limited to. When the day of judgement comes the level of righteousness will be determined by your imaan and not the gender. So ask yourselfs if there is no ranks between man and women, why didn't Allah (swt) make us just one gender that reproduce's.

"And the divorced women shall undergo, without remarrying, a waiting period of three monthly courses: for it is not lawful for them to conceal what God may have created in their wombs, if they believe in God and the Last Day. And during this period their husbands are fully entitled to take them back, if they desire reconciliation; but, in accordance with justice, the rights of the wives with regard to their husbands are equal to the husbands’ rights with regard to them, although men have a degree over them.(Quran 2:228).

Its clear by now with these proofs from the Quran and hadith that certainly a women can not be a head of a nation. This doesn't mean that women are considered insignificant. When muslim women were give great honor and respect in the Islamic world, the African americans were considered animals in the 1900's. When muslim women were the jewel of the muslim world, black women in America was less significant the the dog on the street. This should show how much we as somali's and muslims admire our women.

If a daughter or a wife is judged by the honor of her father in regards to the community then men are ultimately responsible for women (fathers for their daughters, husbands for their wives, etc.) and this accountability would be solely on men's shoulders to bear all the way until they get married, where the responsiblity lays again on a man.

P.S. Most of my answers were deprived from the great book called The Emancipation of Woman at the Time of the Prophet by brother Abdelhalim Abu Shaka. Since I did my homework, pls show me any of my mistake's and I do take insults well. After all adversity and patience is the character of a muslim. I hope I've answered the question of the sister.

Jazakallah Kheir,

Taqwa smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Taqwa (edited 04-12-2002).]

Hibo   

Salaamu caleykum bro,

Well I am real appreciative you took the time out to defend your thoughts on the issue. What we were really debating on was the fact that a woman can't be in government. Well, there are indeed alot of arguments I was all geared up to present to you, but since u have somewhat agreed on the fact that she can be in government and she can take part in political decisions, than I shall rest my case. My thoughts weren't about head of nation rather political role....

Woman is entitled to freedom of expression as much as man is. Her sound opinions are taken into consideration and cannot be disregarded just because she belongs to the female sex. It is reported in the Quran and throughout history that women not only expressed their opinion freely but also argued and participated in serious discussions with the Prophet himself as well as with other Muslim leaders.

The rights and responsibilities of a woman are equal to those of a man but they r not necessarily identical with them. This difference is understandable because man and woman are different in their physiology and psychological make up.

Woman maynot be the head of a constitution but she has a vital role to play. However, she can resume the role, head of the state, if n when the need arises.

Once again thnx for taking the time to clarify things out....

------------------

Each one of us is a masterpiece in progress

Hibo   

Asalaamu Calaykum Wr Wb,

TAQWA:

Akhi, the hadith you have quoted :

Abu Bakra said when the Prophet was informed that the people of Persia (Iran) had crowned the daughter of Kisra as their ruler, he said, "No people will ever succeed if they hand their affairs to a woman.’" Sahih al-Bukhari, trans. by M.M. Khan, Kazi Publications, 1983, vol. 5, p. 508. (hadith is weak)?????

cannot be a weak hadith for the simple reason it is in SAHIH (authentic) Bukhari. smile.gif

As for the ayah discussing the degree of supriority that men have over women, i have come across in the tafseer that some scholars say this degree is responsibility (they have the greater responsibility of taking care of the household financially) and others who say it is intelligence. For those who take the latter of the two, they take this back to the monthly period a woman she gets and how she is not in her right state of mind. Walaahu aclum. Nevertheless a place in jannah is dependant on taqwa and camal not sex.

HIBA:

"However, she can resume the role, head of the state, if n when the need arises."

I believe the above hadith refutes that, WOMAN CANNOT BE THE HEAD OF THE STATE. smile.gif , but we can contribute.

Other than these reasons there are many more reasons why we woman cannot assume this role, one of which we cannot fulfill its requirements such as leading the salat for the muslimiin and lead the army in a battle.

wa bilaahi tawfiiq.

Taqwa   

Dear Last Poster,

What I meant by the hadith being weak is the translation from the arabic. It has completely lost its meaning because it contradicts the things that the rAsul(pbuh) has done. He has taken decision's from aisha, and many other women. I think the translator brother khan, has done an aweful job in transmitting something important. Of course no authetic hadith in Al-bukhari is weak.

First poster,

I'm glad we agreed on this issue, and I do advocate for women to be part of the politics as long as they follow the proper islamic etiquettes.

P.S. I open to more critics insha'allah. I'm sorry i seem to be in a hurry.

Cheers,

Taqwa smile.gif

Hibo   

What a wonderful topic!

Less than a fortnight ago I was arguing/discussing this same topic.

I've always believed dat women are and could be great leaders if they were given the opportunity. Although I don't think it would be good for a Muslim woman with a family

Refering to the quote Taqwa provided us with;

"No people will ever succeed if they hand their affairs to a woman.’"

This to me seems absolutely unbelievable! Women are supposed to be the head of the house when their husband &/or father are away to provide an income or are away on Holy War.

& what about the fact that women do most of the child rearing single-handed, does de above quote indicate dat women are doin an awful job?

I agree with Hibo's & Taqwa's points of view!

I also agree to a certain extend in with Rahiima_as-Somaali had to say, especially her last phrase.

I'm glad I'm a woman dats what Allah (SWT) wanted me to be & dat what He made me! But I still am a firm believer of freedom to speak, as 1 of u said many female Muslims have had a major impact on dicisions made by Islamic Rulers.

I believe that a woman could be in Parliment but I also believe that the voice of a woman should be lowered, I don't believe it should be blasted of in Rally's or campaigns for a certain Political party or the likes.

If a woman could be part of the Government I think her voice should be discret, ideally everythin she believes in should be written down on a piece of paper so ppl wouldn't be able to hear her beautiful voice. Just a thought!

Luv ExDane-I might be feminist at times but hey when ur a Somali and an educated woman u haven't got much choice-However I still love my Somali brothers!

Taqwa   

Salamu Alaikum,

Sister Exdane, the hadith that I quoted is lacking the right translation and contradicts some of the decisions or advice that the Rasul(pbuh) has gotten from women. I also believe that women should be discrete in expressing their voice in parliament. Usually in the mosque when the Imam is leading the prayer, and he make's a mistake men are allowed to say "subhanallah" to get the attention of the Imam, and women are allowed to "clap" their hands to do that. This islamic ruling which is deprived from Imam Hanafi's/shafa'e's rulings shows the extend women should lower their beautiful voice.

Cheers,

Taqwa smile.gif

Hibo   

Taqwa,

With regards to your saying " We know men's superiority over women in regards to intelligence, piety, or any other thing is non-sense." Then the prophet(saw) said:

"Narrated by Abu Sa'id Al-Khudri(ra) Once Allah's Messenger(saw)went out to the Musalla to offer the salat(prayer) of Eid-al-Adha or Al-Fitr prayer. Then he passed by the women and said "O women! Give alms, as I have seen that the majority of the dwellers of Hell-fire were you(women)." They asked "Why is it so, Oh Allah's Messenger?"

He replied "You curse frequently and are ungrateful to your husbands. I have not seen anyone more deficient in intelligence and religion than you. A cautious sensible man could be led astray by some of you." The women asked "Oh Allah's Messenger! What is the deficient in our intelligence and religion?" He said "Is not the witness(evidence) of two women equal to the witness of one man?" They replied in the affirmative. He said "This is the deficiency in your intelligence. Isn't it true that a woman can neither pray nor fast during her menses?" The women replied in the affirmative. He said "This is the deficiency in your religion."

Taqwa   

Dear Saga,

You have taken a hadith that was clear in its message and turned it to an insult to women. First, the hadith has been misinterpreted especially in the middle part. Get something that is well translated and don't bring some non-sense that a sheikh who isn't known has translated. Its pathetic to think that people can just bring something that there not sure of and say its sahih. You have many Islamic things in the internet that is suppose to be authentic yet lacks the mere formal context of the sayings' of the Rasul (pbuh).

Wa Salam

Hibo   

Taqwa,

My intention wasn't to degrade women, I came accross that hadith when I was reading a summarised version of Sahih Bukhari, under the book of menses. I have been thought to think that it's the most authentic book after the quran. Feel free to enlighten us about the hadith's authenticity, translations etc. etc and while you are at it drop the attitude!

Taqwa   

Narrated 'Aisha:

We set out with the Prophet for Hajj and when we reached Sarif I got my menses. When the Prophet came to me, I was weeping. He asked, "Why are you weeping?" I said, "I wish if I had not performed Hajj this year." He asked, "May be that you got your menses?" I replied, "Yes." He then said, "This is the thing which Allah has ordained for all the daughters of Adam. So do what all the pilgrims do except that you do not perform the Tawaf round the Ka'ba till you are clean." Volume 1, Book 6, Number 302:

If this is the case in this authentic hadith then I dont think its a deficiency in there religion, since the prophet (pbuh) regarded the mense's as something ordained by Allah. The second thing is that a women can be as pious as a man and even more. I will not comment any further since I have no knowledge passed this point.

P.S. The attitude is Taqwa, get used to it pal.

Wa Salam