Sign in to follow this  
Som@li

Interview with Ismail ‘Geeldoon’,the author of, Governance:The Scourge and Hope of Somalia

Som@li   

Editor's Note: WardheerNews had a rare and yet an in-depth interview with Ismail Ali Ismail "Geeldoon" the author of, governance, The Scourge and Hope of Somalia. Mr. Ismail, a former Somali civil servant and UN staff discusses about the book and his views on the current situation in Somalia.

WardheerNews ( WDN): What inspired you to write the book, ‘Governance: The Scourge and Hope of Somalia' ?

Ismail: So far as I know no one had written about the historical genesis of Somalia’s governance problems, which need to be explained to posterity so that they will understand the present in order to plan for the future.

I saw a void in that regard which needed to be filled. With advanced academic preparation, service with all the Somali governments in positions of governance and long international experience in promoting good governance and sound public administration which brought me face to face with African problems in those areas I thought it was incumbent upon people like me to fill that void. But, the void is too big, and we need other compatriots with the necessary education and experience to help. I have said so in the Preface.

WDN:
You have about 40 years of experience in public administration (including 26 years with the UN). Do Somalia’s problems stem from bad governance?

Ismail: Without doubt. That is why in the subtitle of the book (bad) governance is portrayed as a scourge, which it was in the case of Somalia and (good) governance as an instrument of hope for the future. When bad governance is the malady, good governance is the remedy. The book explains in considerable detail how the country was left entirely unprepared (by the British and the Italians) for the monumental challenges that lay ahead, and how the leaders were hamstrung by the lack of proper institutional machinery. The political leaders, unaided by such machinery and woefully unprepared for the challenges, were also lost in the wilderness of statecraft and could not manage to put the administration of the country on a firm footing.