Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Coca-Cola Invests $10 Million in Somaliland Bottling Plant

May 31 (Bloomberg) -- Coca-Cola Co., the world’s largest soft-drink maker, plans to set-up a bottling plant in the breakaway republic of Somaliland, saying its stability and economic growth provide “conducive” conditions for investment.

Somaliland Beverage Industries, owned by local businessman Ahmed Osman Guelleh, was awarded a license to operate the factory that’s under construction and expected to start operating by the end of September, Ndema Rukandema, Coca-Cola’s franchise general manager for the Horn, Islands and Middle Africa, said yesterday. Coca-Cola has so far invested $10 million to build the facility in Hargeisa, the capital.

Somaliland declared independence from Somalia two decades ago, after the fall of dictator Mohammed Siad Barre. While no country officially recognizes Somaliland’s sovereignty, it has remained largely free of the clan warfare, kidnappings and assassinations that plague Somalia, to the southeast.

Read More ,,,,, http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-05-31/coca-cola-invests-10-million-in-somaliland-bottling-plant.html

Manshallah. Modern looking plant from the outside and hopefully this will create some jobs for the locals.

---

This reminds me of a documentary about Coke factories in latin america that I watched. They treat their employees terrible and create unbelieve amounts of pollution in the local environment; not mentioning the high amounts of water this plant will need in this water scarce region. So somewhat of a mixed blessing...

i hate coke. I think that sh!t poison. At the same time if coca-cola can invest in SL ( I don't blame them for taking advantage of the cheap labour cost) others are sure to follow. All for free market.

AfricaOwn;725099 wrote:
i hate coke. I think that sh!t poison.

YES! I am meeting more and more coke-haters. iTS a filthy drink that tastes like Sh*t, burns your mouth and gives you hickupps lol. I never understand what ay people ku falaan.

GO FANTA, DR PEPPER !! lol

Thankful   

No doubt Coca Cola will create more health related problems, from diabetes to tooth decay.

But still even if this factory was not built people would be cosuming it like the rest of the world.