Sign in to follow this  
Liqaye

Uganda, Burundi army chiefs vow to pacify Somalia

Liqaye   

Uganda and Burundi, the only African countries who have peacekeepers in Somalia, have vowed to oust al Qaeda-linked Islamist insurgents and introduce peace into the war-devastated horn of Africa nation.

Army chiefs of Uganda and Burundi, Gens. Aronda Nyakairima and Godefroid Niyombare, made the pledge in a speech Wednesday during a lengthy meeting in the capital Mogadishu with traditional leaders from south-central Somalia.

The army chiefs said they want the Somali people to work together and assist them in ousting terrorist elements whose aim is to make Somalia a safe haven for international terrorists running from countries such as Iraq or Afghanistan.

“I really believe that the time to defeat al-Shabaab and instead Somalia will enjoy peace has come and we Uganda and Burundi are committed to helping Somalia get back on its feet again,” Ugandan army chief of staff Nyakairima said.

He said that 20 years ago Uganda experienced such situation in Somalia and then Ugandans understood the importance to work together and save their homeland from the hardships it was undergoing.

“The problem in Somalia can easily be overcome if three sides develop a joint work—those three are the Somalis themselves, the neighboring states and the international community—then I am sure that Somalia will get stability," Nyakairima told the elders.

For his part, the Burundian army chief, Niyombare, told the meeting that his country cannot repay for the gratitude of Somalia, but they are doing their best to at least pacify and end the 20-year-old instability in Somalia.

“Somalia had helped Burundi more. I myself speaking to you was trained in Somalia before the collapse—not only Burundi and Uganda but we know that Somalia helped so many African nations,” he said.

Niyombare said Burundian forces will remain in Somalia until peace and calmness has returned to the country. “I am very sorry for the terrible situation that Somalis are experiencing, but hope it will come to an end as soon as possible,” he added.

Five African nations have pledged to send troops to Somalia, but Uganda and Burundi are the only African countries who have fulfilled their promises.

AMISOM forces in Somalia are not only doing a peacekeeping operation, but they also have a humanitarian mission to provide Somali people with medicine and other assistance.

Hoyga wararka Somaliyeed

www.jowhar.com

jowharcom@hotmail.com

jowharcom@gmail.com

Saxafi on March 24 2011 ·

Liqaye   
“Somalia had helped Burundi more. I myself speaking to you was trained in Somalia before the collapse—not only Burundi and Uganda but we know that Somalia helped so many African nations,” he said.