Sign in to follow this  
Khayr

The Prayer Police

Khayr   

Have you ever met the Pray Police?

You know, the one brother or sister that comes across the masjid to say Salams to you and tells that you did something wrong in your salat? in your quran reading?

You know the one brother or sister that prays besides you and right after the jamma salat is over, says to you "salams,I saw that you didn't do x and y in your salat and want to tell you that you should do v and w like I do. (What about their salat and there remembrance of their neighbors salat over the remebrance of Allah?) :rolleyes:

The Prayer Police -

Big Brother/Sister watching is you ;)

Have you seen them lately?

your question takes me back to a time when i religiously read maniacmuslim.

it's always the old people though...it's always the old people.

i can't figure out why they keep grabbing my arm and pull me closer in the middle of prayer.

Nur   

Mellow bird

Be a credit to your name, mellow means ( pleasantly agreeable; free from tension, discord, etc.), people who approach you in Masjid to help you perform your prayers better according to Sunnah are not your enemies, Satan is, and he is busy influencing you negatively, be careful.

One of the four Imams of Islam, used to hold a class ( Halaqa ) in a Masjid. The Imam used to teach his students that no one should pray Sunna prayers after Asr prayer, according to his fiqh. One day as he walked in the Masjid after Asr prayer to teach the fiqh class to his waiting students, the Imam sat down without praying the Txiyatul masjid prayer, a sunnah.

A layman ( not scholar) sitting in the Masjid noticed that the imam did not pray the Masjid Salutation Sunnah prayer, so he came to the Imam and reminded him to pray the Sunnah.

The Imam, got up and prayed contrary to his school of thought regarding this prayer.

His students were confused, they asked him: " Imaam, why did you teach us not to pray after Asr, and when this ignorant man asked you to pray, you prayed?"

The imam, resonded: " I still stand by my opinion, however, when this man asked me to pray I remembered a verse in Quraan:

" Wa idaa qiila lahum usjuduu laa yasjuduun"

Meaning: " And when its said to them ( Non- Believers), Bow down ( For Allah), they do not bow down"

The Imam said, " i did not want to be part of that category.

Its important when we want to correct others faults to be polite and considerate. Its equally imporatnt that we accept and be thankful when a person volunteers to help us perform our ibaadah better.

Nur

N.O.R.F   

^Reminds me of being told not to pray taxiyatul masjid just before Maqrib. Some masjids turn on a light telling people not to pray at certain times.

Originally posted by Nur:

Mellow bird

Be a credit to your name, mellow means ( pleasantly agreeable; free from tension, discord, etc.), people who approach you in Masjid to help you perform your prayers better according to Sunnah are not your enemies, Satan is, and he is busy influencing you negatively, be careful.

One of the four Imams of Islam, used to hold a class ( Halaqa ) in a Masjid. The Imam used to teach his students that no one should pray Sunna prayers after Asr prayer, according to his fiqh. One day as he walked in the Masjid after Asr prayer to teach the fiqh class to his waiting students, the Imam sat down without praying the Txiyatul masjid prayer, a sunnah.

A layman ( not scholar) sitting in the Masjid noticed that the imam did not pray the Masjid Salutation Sunnah prayer, so he came to the Imam and reminded him to pray the Sunnah.

The Imam, got up and prayed contrary to his school of thought regarding this prayer.

His students were confused, they asked him: " Imaam, why did you teach us not to pray after Asr, and when this ignorant man asked you to pray, you prayed?"

The imam, resonded: " I still stand by my opinion, however, when this man asked me to pray I remembered a verse in Quraan:

" Wa idaa qiila lahum usjuduu laa yasjuduun"

Meaning: " And when its said to them ( Non- Believers), Bow down ( For Allah), they do not bow down"

The Imam said, " i did not want to be part of that category.

Its important when we want to correct others faults to be polite and considerate. Its equally imporatnt that we accept and be thankful when a person volunteers to help us perform our ibaadah better.

Nur

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to remind me. smile.gif

Haneefah   

Believers are supposed to give each other reminders, khayr. It's a product of faith.

We just have to heed this invaluable advice:

Its important when we want to correct others faults to be polite and considerate.

Nur   

Baarakallahu feekunna, sisters Mellow and Haneefa, a good conclusion.

Nur

(The SOL Mellow Fellow)

Khayr   

Originally posted by Haneefah:

Believers are supposed to give each other reminders, khayr. It's a product of faith.

Reminders or Advice?

Is there Adab in interrupting a muslim reading quean in the masjid to correct him for not having the right 'arabic recitation'. I seen this happen last week to a brother and guess what, he was making an attempt to read the quran while the others in the masjid were chit chatting.

Or

How about correcting someone's salat just after the Imam ends the salat. Is there only one fiqha in the deen? :rolleyes:

Where was the kuushuc in the person's salat when they were thinking about their neighbour's salat???

People hate and leave the deen when Zealots look for negatives in their brothers/sisters and do not point out the positives.

Ms DD   

I think it is the method of advising the person rather than the advice. It is always welcome but how it is delivered mainly lacks adaab.

I was once showing around a non-muslim friend (she became muslim alhamdulilaah since) around the masjid and it was time for prayers. i got up to pray and my other friend wasnt praying. So she sat down with the non-muslim friend. After the prayers ended, this lady came, gunning for us and screaming that we shouldnt be in the masjid when one isnt muslim and the other isnt praying. That was nice intro for the nun-muslim girl.

ElPunto   

^Exactly - it really is about delivery and how one acts. I think there are also certain contexts that are more appropriate than others.

peasant   

Ms DD funny, i have witnessed scenario close to that one you talked about. A new revert brother was once leaving a mosque and while on his way to get his shoes, someone he knew struck conversation with him and apparently called him with his Western given name since the brother never bothered to change his name. Another muslim brother who was nearby over heard the conversation and coaxed him self right in the middle of the dialog and asked why the revert brother never bother changing his name since Western names are unislamic, bad and etc. My self and couple of other brothers could not stand the ignorrance and the rude manner of the intruding bro and we asked if he had a daleel from the sunnah or the holy koran. Well it turns out he had nothing to back his argument and we left him there making daleel of the shoe racks.