Sign in to follow this  
Legend of Zu

Job Hunting Strategies

Hi Nomads,

Some of us are approaching graduation or changing careers or even jumping ships hence the stress of hunting jobs or persuing the dream position.

In the line of the above situations I thought about creating a topic dedicated to the many strategies employed when hunting for a fav position or the sought after Grad position.

Whether it is straight from a book or article or even your own experiences please feel free to contribute.

I shall put my two cents later tonite when i have time.

Cheers

nafta   

Hiya Zu

Some Uni's organise job/careers fairs annually which is exellent for networking and showcasing what you have got to offer as a graduate. It's good experience taking part in these as it will allow you to identify which companies you would like to work for and what their requirements are. Even if you're not in your final year it's good practice to familiarise yourself with this.

Always make sure you have a up-to-date CV/resume handy, look presentable and come prepared to take down notes, numbers and names!

Pacifist   

I would suggest try doing internship or co-op with your field of study before you graduate note I said before you graduate because most of the time, the company you intern for will give you a position or as always you get connections. Do as much interning as possible. It sure is a good way to make your feet wet.

Katrina   

In addition to what has all ready been stated practice is crucial. It's a fact the more you interview the better you get at it. Uni students take advantage of the career fairs and try to get as many interviews as possible. You might have a heavy course load yet make the time! Last semester, I tried a different approach from the past yrs and I found the 12 interviews (first round) I had helped polish my interviewing skills. Always have your first interview (even second) be with companies or positions you are not serious about thereby minimizing the nervousness/anxiety associated with one's dream job...allowing you to focus solely on practicing (no fear of failure). Towards the last few I could've interviewed in my sleep regardless of the curve balls thrown my way. This approach (maybe not as many practice interviews) also works if your switching companies or industries and those college skills have become rusty.

If you can't do the 'practice' thing then have two reliable and serious ppl grill (best to use questions from a book, college career booklet, or previously asked questions) you. The suggestions and critic they provide is priceless.

Employers pull candidates from a pool who already meet the minimum job criteria. The intent of the interview is to see if YOU are a fit for the company. They're thinking is this person pleasant to work with? Will he/she fit our work culture?etc.