Sign in to follow this  
STOIC

TIPS ON APPLYING TO GRADUATE SCHOOL OR MEDICAL SCHOOL

STOIC   

In the world of today the contact of men and their relation to each other is defined by communication.I will love to share with you guys a couple of tips that i have grasped from a lecture that was presided over by DR Oppenheimer, director of the sackler institute of graduate biomedical sciences,Newyork university school of medicine.

How to prepare for graduate school in the science.

1. college preparation

freshman and sophomore years:

-take a broad spectrum of introductory

courses (including labs) biology,

chemistry, math, computer science

-take courses that help devp reading

skills,writting, and public speaking

-get involved in research!.

2.junior year:

-take advance level courses

-take liberal art courses

-begin preparing for GRE and MCAT

-expand your reseach skills:programs

like Howard Hughes,McNair

3. Senior year

-submit application early

-if possible visit schools

-take advanced research courses

WHAT YOU MUST BE LOOKING FOR IN GRADUATE PROGRAM

1. ACADEMIC CONSIDERATION:

-Do you fill comfortable with the program and structure

-is there flexibility within the program

-are there adquate university support system

2. Financial consideration

- can you afford it(determine total cost involved,including housing and food)

-available type of financial aid(loans fllowship, research and assitantship)

WHAT THE GRADUATE SCHOOLS ARE LOOKING FORIN APPLICANTS

-Strong undergraduate perfomance as indicated by strength of course load, GRE and GPA

-superior preparation in the disciplene

-student who can clearly express themselves.

-reseach experience.

SOURCES OF INFORMATION

- word of mouth

-internet sources (somaliaonline student talk section)

-library

Assalam Aleikum next time it will be the interview,that is if there are some people who want it.

Keep me in your prayer please and i will keep you in my prayers.

Wassalam

-

Saalixa   

Oh this should help me alot

iam doing science next year insha alaah and i am still wonderin what to choice as my first year units, they can be selected and from there insha laah pharamacy sorry medicine is toooo long..and tiring.

But iam having the biggest problem , i want to do Pharmacy but my friends and family want me to apply for medical science.......anyone that does either one???

help guys for all poor students in the wilderness of inconvieniant careers.

STOIC   

First let me congragualate you on your industrious undertaking of studying science.We need people like you to protect our health, water and air qualities of our lives back in the motherland.There are broad courses of science you can take at your school.Consult your academic advisors in your school on what courses to take.As for the choice between pharmacy and medicine it depends on what you want.They are both rewarding careers.Don't do something because your parents or peers presured you to do so.Follow your intuition and Insha-Allah the gates will be open for you.

raula   

STOIC-May Allah s.w make it easier on you dear-and may you have enough courage and strength to get in and through Grad-school. Insha-allah and to all of us who are puisuing higher education-Amiin.

Indeed follow your path-not someone elses. And if you are not sure what you want to do after an undergraduate degree-Get Practical experience in the field interested then continue-you might be suprised that the job you even pursue now can pay for your later education.

Be resourceful.

Bess.   

internships, This is something all of that are interested in graduate school should be doing, they should be started as soon as sophomore year and should continue until u graduate....this helps u get familiar with ur chosen field and also gives u a chance to diversify ur academic resume, and u also get recommendation letters and maybe u get paid..... :D ...they r a chore but so worth it... ;)

Good luck in ur futures