Sign in to follow this  
Taliban

SYL: What Did It Achieve?

Taliban   

First, this topic isn't meant to belittle, underestimate or depreciate the SYL (Somali Youth League). It's meant to inspect its achievements. Some people attribute grandeur achievements to the SYL.

So, here are my questions; what did the SYL achieve? Did it have an armed resistance? An insurgency? Was it involved in armed struggles to liberate Somalia from the colonialists? Did Somalia achieve independence because of the SYL? Is it true it was the UN that handed Somalia its independence?

Discuss, and please no flamebaits.

ansaar17   

I'll tell you, most of the colonizers new that the muslim world wern't going to except direct colonization and so they replace their military with loyal puppets.

Now were in the second type of indirect western colonization.

Taliban   

Originally posted by abu ansaar17:

I'll tell you, most of the colonizers new that the muslim world wern't going to except direct colonization and so they replace their military with loyal puppets.

Now were in the second type of indirect western colonization.

Pardon me, are you saying the SYL leaders were loyal puppets of the colonialists?

In a sense, I agree with you colonialism is still indirectly with us. For example, we are only allowed to adopt a system of governance that has the approval or rubber stamp of the ex-colonialists.

Kashafa   

The situation prompted British colonial officials to encourage the Somalis to organize politically; the result was the first modern Somali political party, the Somali Youth Club (SYC), established in Mogadishu in 1943.

To empower the new party, the British
allowed
the better educated police and civil servants to join it
. In 1947 it renamed itself the Somali Youth League (SYL) and began to open offices not only in the two British-run Somalilands but also in Ethiopia's ****** and in the NFD of Kenya. The SYL's stated objectives were to unify all Somali territories, including the NFD and the ******; to create opportunities for universal modern education; to develop the Somali language by a standard national orthography; to safeguard Somali interests; and to oppose the restoration of Italian rule.

Source

To paraphrase Malcolm X when commenting on Martin Luther King's March on Washington, Where did you ever see a resistance group being formed and encouraged by the very same people they're supposed to be revolting against.

I'm not very familar with that part of Somali history, but my general impression is that we didn't take our freedom, it was handed to us on a silver platter complete with instructions on how to 'join the modern world'.

Compare and contrast that with how the Vietnameese drove off, first the French, then the Americans through force of arms.

Good topic, Taliban. I'd like to know how effective the SYL really was. Weren't colonised countries being granted indepedence left and right during the 50s and 60s, and Somalia's turn just came ?

Taliban   

Originally posted by Kashafa:

Weren't colonised countries being granted indepedence left and right during the 50s and 60s, and Somalia's turn just came ?

I don't think all or most colonized countries were handed independence on a silver platter without some sort of armed resistance or struggle. Remember the Kenyan Mau Mau insurgency, the millions Algerians who lost their lives to liberate their country, Cameroon's People Union (CPU) which was involved in armed struggle to obtain independence, the anti-colonial leader Patrice Lumumba of Congo who helped to win its independence from Belgium, iwm?