Sign in to follow this  
Jacpher

Ellison is first Muslim member of Congress

Jacpher   

Democrat Keith Ellison was elected as the nation's first Muslim member of Congress on Tuesday, easily winning a district Republicans had not carried since 1962. He is also Minnesota's first nonwhite representative in Washington.

Two other House races looked close enough to make a difference in Democratic hopes for winning control of Congress.

In Minneapolis, Keith Ellison probably won his most important campaign in September in the primary in a heavily liberal district. The win made Ellison, who is black, the first Muslim in Congress and the first nonwhite representative Minnesota has sent to Washington.

ellison.jpg

Also, Amy Klobuchar wins the Senate seat. Minnesota is showing its blue color.

king_450   

It is nice to see Mn voted nice this time around. But being a muslim in this case doesn't mean anything at all and let's stop labeling this man quickly. We will see how he votes come january,2007

Gabbal   

Tough night for the 'publicans. My friends are looking at the world with the same anger Democrats viewed it during Kerry's defeat. :D

SeeKer   

Originally posted by General Duke:

House is gone, now we wait for Senate.

Congrats to the brother, a historic moment indeed.

Are you sad about that? I personally think we need to get away from partisan lines. I had a few Independants on my ballot and their take on the issues were just on my side of the tracks.

How about the first woman speaker, Nancy Pelosi? :D

What was the deal with Harold Ford? I thought for sure he would sweep Tennessee :(

In Texas, Democrats might grab the Delay seat. Watch how the presidential hopefuls are posturing when giving their acceptance speech.