Sign in to follow this  
Castro

Blast kills 5 in Gedo region

Castro   

Tue. May 15, 2007 08:30 pm.- By Mohamed Abdi Farah. - Send this news article

(SomaliNet) Five people died and fifteen others were wounded in a huge bomb explosion which rocked Bardhere town of Gedo region in southwest of Somalia on late Tuesday.

Witnesses told Somalinet that the blast occurred inside a cinema in the town as large number of people were viewing a film at the time of incident. The explosion happened around 7:00 pm local time.

All the dead were civilians; 3 adults and 2 children and 15 others were injured by the blast.

“At once, I heard a huge and deafening sound of explosion beside me, I was inside the cinema when the incident occurred, thanks to God, I survived but many of my friends got hurt in the blast,” said one eyewitness who was among viewers.

It is not yet clear what caused the explosion but some believe that un unknown man has thrown a hand grenade bomb into the cinema and escaped unharmed.

The blast came as former defense minister Bare Aden Shire reached today Bardere with several battlewagons.

Somalinet