Sign in to follow this  
Jabhad

Italy wants Ethiopian troops out.

Jabhad   

NAIROBI (AFP) - The Italian government on Saturday pressed Ethiopian troops to pull out from lawless Somalia and urged the rival factions there to observe a truce ahead of a key reconciliation conference in June.

ADVERTISEMENT

During a one-day trip to Mogadishu, Italy's Deputy Foreign Affairs Minister Patrizia Sentinelli held talks with Somali President Abdullahi Yusuf and Prime Minster Ali Mohamed Gedi.

"I expressed the position of my government that Ethiopian troops must withdraw," she told a press conference in the Kenyan capital Nairobi, after visiting Rome's former colony.

"For this reason, I stressed something the Italian government has always said: the strengthening of the AMISOM (African Mission to Somalia)."

Ethiopian forces were deployed last year and helped Somali troops expel the Islamists movement from southern and central Somalia at the start of the year.

But the insurgents continued with attacks that culminated in two offensives by Ethiopia-Somali forces in March and April that killed at least 1,400 people, according to Mogadishu's dominant ****** clan elders and a local rights panel.

Apart from the face-to-face fighting, dozens of people -- including peacekeepers -- have been killed and scores wounded in separate attacks since then, mainly by homemade bombs and grenades.

"Security can only be realised through a ceasefire ... the problem of insecurity must be addressed in a correct manner," Sentinelli added.

She urged the Somali leaders to ensure that a June 14 peace conference included the defeated Islamists.

But Yusuf has maintained that the Islamist leaders will only participate if they come as clan representatives, a position they refuse.

"I presented on behalf of the Italian government one main request. That the reconciliation conference really be conducted in an all-inclusive manner," added Sentinelli, the only top Italian envoy to visit Somalia in recent years.

At least 1,500 African Union peacekeepers from Uganda, who are currently in Mogadishu, are due to take over from Ethiopian forces.

Somalia, a nation of 10 million, has been reduced to violence since the 1991 ouster of dictator Mohamed Siad Barre sparked a bloody power struggle that has defied numerous attempts to restore stability.

Jabhad   

I expressed the position of my government that Ethiopian troops must withdraw," she told a press conference in the Kenyan capital Nairobi, after visiting Rome's former colony.

"Security can only be realised through a ceasefire ... the problem of insecurity must be addressed in a correct manner," Sentinelli added.

"I presented on behalf of the Italian government one main request. That the reconciliation conference really be conducted in an all-inclusive manner," added Sentinelli, the only top Italian envoy to visit Somalia in recent years.

Will Italy use its EU membership to keep in check the Ethio-American plans for Somalia? Only time will tell.

Talyaaniga waa dad yaqaano Soomaalida, aad iyo aad. Inkastoo dantooda leeyihiin, haddana waligood waxee u taaganyihiin midnimada Soomaaliya, which I agree with them vehemently. Without Talyaaniga in Midowga Yurub and Masar in Jaamacadda Carabta and Midowga Afrika, Soomaaliya mar horaa la kala goyn goyn lahaa. Mar hore.

It was only last year shirkii Midowga Afrika ee lagu qabtay Gaambiya when a representive from Waqooyi was there, to lobby, until Masar threatened to either withdraw or Soomaaliya unity being a sacred and the representives from other parts must kicked out.

What was more interesting in that shir was Geedi, the junior stooge in dowlad ku sheeg, himself was present, not barely even uttering an obligatory lip-service of sacredness, integrity of national unity he claims. Well, qof Xabasho xukunto maxaa laga sugaaye awalba.

We also appreciate Sacuudiya iyo Suuriya, another two giants that always stand Soomaali unity in Jaamacadda Carabta.