Sign in to follow this  
Katrina

Divorcing a Pregnant Wife???

Katrina   

Salaam,

I need a quick and accurate answer, please!

What is Islam's ruling on divorcing a pregnant wife? For those who live in America, can you confirm how the Somali mosques rule on those issues??

Thanks a million...

Salaam Katrina,

To keep it short, the divorce is kept pending until the woman gives birth to her child. She can only be divorced after the birth of the child as now there is a new member in the family and the husband/wifes mind can change regarding divorce. While she is pregnant she lives in her household and maintainance is provided by her husband as usual.

As for what happens in america and the somali mosques have no idea.

Fiamanillah

Jacpher   

WOL: Ahsante sana dadayangu smile.gif I hope I said the right thing. It's been awhile since I left Swahili inchi.

WOL is right. A pregnant woman can be divorced according to the Sunnah but remains in her Cidda, idda, the waiting period untill the baby is born. Her husband remains responsible for her nafaqa during this time, which means he may call for rujuuc if they change their mind. It's a common misunderstanding that many believe pregnant women can't be divorced. One can't divorce his wife if she's in her menses and engaging sex relation. He has to wait when she’s pure and not have intercourse.

I don’t understand what you mean by Somali mosques in NA. I have yet to witness a mosque issueing a divorce of couple in the mosque. If what you’re asking is how they deal the issue, it depends on the Imam or mosque. Some Imams refuse to do or be part of any divorce unless they meet with both families while some corrupt ones do it in a flash.

Katrina   

Warrior of Light & Ducaqabe, you'v both provided me the knowledge I was seeking on this issue.

Thank You and a Belated Eid Mubarak and Kula Sanah Wa Antum Bikhayr.

Khayr   

Salamz,

Originally posted by Katrina:

Salaam,

I need a quick and accurate answer, please!

What is Islam's ruling on divorcing a pregnant wife? For those who live in America, can you confirm how the Somali mosques rule on those issues??

Thanks a million...

A midwife told me once that martial problems often start during pregnancies and though it might be true, it probably is not a time to be 'SELFISH' but rather MORE ACCOMADATING during a pregnancy.

In Islam, what leads to Tawheeed is preferred i.e. Unity and what leads to Division is abhorred, at the least-frowned upon.

"The most hateful halal (permissible thing) to Allah is divorce".

Something about Divorce in Islam to assist nomads

I would say more but like always am strapped for time and internet access.

Fi Amanillah

Jacpher   

Originally posted by Khayr:

This hadith is said to be weak, daciif. Check the source brother.

Khayr   

Salamz,

Originally posted by Ducaqabe:

quote:Originally posted by Khayr:

This hadith is said to be weak, daciif. Check the source brother.
The fact that a HADITH is 'Daaef/WEAK' does not

negate the WISDOM that it can contain for

afterall, it is still considered a HADITH

(a saying of the rasul (salallahu caliyhe

wasilm)) and if it is parallel In line, In

agreement with the teachings of the Deen )

then there is khair in it, inshallah.

For in Islam, the preservation of the family unit

leads to preservation of the Ummah and its

members. If the Family Institution is broken up,

then whats to stay who will keep the Muslim

Lineage and expand the Ummah from Within

i.e. muslim children.

Children will be more unlikely

to respect 'SINGLE PARENTS' because if they can't

keep a 'MARRIAGE TOGETHER', children will doubt

a Divorcee's PARENTAL ABILITIES.

Fi Amanillah

Nephissa   

A man who leaves a pregnant woman for any other reason than DEATH, is a disgrace to his very own existance. Some men just have their priorities screwed up, and some are just downright selfish. When you have a child, on the way, or on the earth, YOU LIVE FOR THAT CHILD!

You have no idea how much seeing this sickens me.

And why does everyone feel the need to "just do it" get married...is it those damn Nike commercials?

Jacpher   

Brother Khayr:

Are you suggesting the divorce rate of Muslim communities will drastically reduce by preaching weak hadiths? Don’t be naïve brother. Today’s Muslims don’t have receptive ears for sound hadiths and quranic rulings let alone weak & fabricated ones. One does not need a weak hadiths to shape up the Ummah and solve some of the problems you’ve mentioned.

I don’t know if you’re an expert in the area of Culumul Hadith but there’s difference between the seeing/agreeing wisdom of a weak hadith and establishing a ruling based on weak hadiths. Do you know what the hadith scholars said about practicing, and/or preaching/teaching the public about such hadiths? Can one practice Islam based on weak hadiths? I have heard Shariif Cabdinuur xafidahulaah, a well known & respected Somali Shiekh, saying this hadith “Abqadul Halaali Ilaa laahi Adalaaq†is weak hadith. I believe he said, Ilaahey wax caradiisa keena xalaal kama dhigo ama xalaal Alle kama caroodo. I'll check Insha'alaah.