Sign in to follow this  
Thinkerman

Somali leader 'seeks Iraq victory'....

Last Updated: Tuesday, 25 March, 2003, 12:31 GMT

Email this to a friend Printable version

Somali leader 'seeks Iraq victory'

The Somali leader denies links to al-Qaeda

The president of Somalia's transitional government has condemned the United States-led attack on Iraq as naked aggression.

Abdulkassim Salat Hassan said he was praying for an Iraqi victory.

Somalia has denied repeated accusations that it is harbouring members of the al-Qaeda network.

Elsewhere in Africa, anti-war demonstrations have continued:

In the Mauritanian capital Nouakchott, at least 20,000 people took to the streets to demonstrate outside the United States embassy.

In Tunisia and Mozambique, thousands attended peaceful rallies against the war.

Police in the Senegalese capital, Dakar used tear gas to disperse students from outside the US embassy.

The leader of Djibouti, where the US has set up an anti-terror base, has also condemned the war, saying a pre-planned war cannot be justified by self-defence.

Students in the Sudanese capital, Khartoum, have held three days of protests.

Since the 11 September 2001 attacks on the United States, the Somali leader has strenuously denied accusations that his government has links to Islamic radicals.

He said the US was free to look for al-Qaeda members in Somalia.

Last week, an alleged al-Qaeda operative was taken from Somalia to Kenya, reportedly with help from the FBI, in connection with recent terror attacks in East Africa.

'More terrorism'

Correspondents say Monday's protest in Nouakchott was the largest in living memory.

One can not accept that without UN support, a US-led coalition begins a war using very dubious arguments

Francisco Caeiro, Luanda, Angola

War in Iraq: Your views

Some demonstrators held photos of Saddam Hussein, while others shouted "Death to Bush".

Newspapers in Morocco have also condemned the war.

Maroc-Ouest compared George Bush to Osama Bin Laden, former Taliban leader Mullah Omar and Saddam Hussein, saying they all used God to justify their wars.

The paper said the only result would be an increase in terrorist attacks.

"Stop the colonialist war!" wrote Al Ittihad Al Ichtiraki

Gabbal   

Sijui I believe that the reporter is a careless one or if Abdiqasim did publicly say then I believe he is a careless president, because his regime is too fragile for making statement like that.

Gabbal   

Bravery has nothing to do with it Northener, it would be brave if he took a AK and went to Iraq to fight off the U.S.; but when he already has a non-existent regime that is more then fragile, than I think that is stupidity. Why destroy yourself for a war you can't stop or can't join?

Not that my wishes and feelings are any different then Abdiqasim's.

Bachelor   

I believe we all should pray for victory and support the Iraqi people BY ALL MEANS NECESARY

Why should he hide the truth? Despite his fragile admin. I really admire his stand to come out of the shadow. As a somali leader he just showed that oppression and aggression is unacceptable and will not tolerate it.

mojam   

Originally posted by Shujui-1:

Notice that the BBC didn't quote him as saying this because this wasn't his exact words. What he said was more like: 'The Somali people are behind the Iraqi people and are praying for them.' I know it is very close to what is says above but it's more diplomatic this way, and he was very diplomatic about it when he said it.