Sign in to follow this  
Member-sol-

Prostitution, first sign of successful democracy

Prostitution, first sign of successful democracy

Publication time: 21 May 2008, 17:11

IslamOnline told a story about Afghan girl Fatima, who returned home in anticipation of a better life after the gangs of the Northern Alliance captured Kabul and established pro-Western democratic regime with US support.

But instead of a good life she had to sell her body to make a living and support her family.

"I had no other way-out," the periodical quotes the woman.

After returning from Iran, she could never find a job in her native city of Mazar-e-Sharif.

Desperate to sustain her mother, two sisters and young brother, she eventually found no other option but prostitution. Fatima now roams the streets every day, her face heavily painted with all sorts of make-up, in search for clients.

"I get up early in the morning and wander around the city," she tells. "My clients stop me and give me a lift and then we talk about the price."

According to RAWA, an independent organization, prostitution has become widespread in conservative Afghanistan since the 2001 departure of the Taliban. Prostitution is even taking formal root, with brothels operating and pimps managing prostitutes openly in some cities.

At the same time formally democratic Karzai regime proclaimed its commitment to "Shariah morality" and adopted a law under which adultery is punishable by a prison sentence of 5 to 15 years. However, no one even thinks of obeying this law. Money is what counts the most.

The website tells the story of another woman. 24-year old Nasrin, living in the city of Kunduz in the north of the country, said that prostitution was the legacy she inherited from her mother.

"My father died in war, my mom was a widow and I did not know what she did for work," she explains.

"Later I understood she was a prostitute. One day she encouraged me to have sex with a man who came to our house."

Nasrin is now quite familiar with the world of prostitution, having sex with men for money sometimes several times a night.

"I really wanted to be a descent lady and live with my husband, but now everyone sees me as a prostitute. My life is ruined", she sobbed.

After 7 years of the establishment of a democratic regime in Afghanistan prostitution and drug addiction literally swept the country. Local human rights activists blame the puppet regime of occupational democratic forces for bringing crime and debauchery to the Afghan people.

During the Taliban, who established the Sharia laws, these vices were virtually eradicated in the Afghan society even though the Taliban ruled only for only 5 years.

prostitution was the legacy she inherited from her mother.

Then they should not blame the democracy which recently installed its regime in Afghanistan.